Chapter 24 - Fight Song

Don't play the song until I tell you for the best experience.

~~~~~

Skylar POV

I'm standing in a damp, dark cellar in front of a tall, red door. Colton is to my right, his hand holds my right bicep with a firm grip. Beta Larson and Theo are behind us. I can feel their eyes on me. A radio is playing in the background, but I am not sure I know the song.

I feel Colton let go of me as he turns to talk to his beta about something, but I can't focus on what he says. I don't care what he has to say. 

I just feel so lost, so empty. My stomach hurts from the hit Colton gave me earlier, but I'm too numb to worry about it. 

I just don't care anymore.

(play song)

"Like a small boat, on the ocean..." A beautiful voice sings on the radio. I begin to focus on the familiar words. 

"Sending big waves, into motion. Like how a single word, can make a heart open. I might only have one match, but I can make an explosion.

I feel the words of the song spark something within me. It's small at first, but builds into something stronger. 

"And all those things I didn't say, wrecking balls inside my brain. I will scream them loud tonight. Can you hear my voice this time?"

The words are fuel to the spark inside me and the flame grows stronger, driving the darkness inside me away. I can feel my wolf peeking out from her cage. 

"This is my fight song. Take back my life song. Prove I'm alright song. No power's turned on. Starting right now, I'll be strong. I'll play my fight song. And I don't really care if nobody else believes." 

"'Cause I still got a lot of fight left in me," I whisper with the song. 

And that's it. That's what I needed to send the darkness away completely. The fire inside burns strong within me. My wolf howling - not in sadness anymore, no - with hope. A tray with tools sitting on a table a mere five feet from me catches my eye. I feel myself smile. 

Too easy. Ailith hums. 

I walk over to the table and grab the first thing that my hand touches. Shoving it up my sleeve, I return to Colton. He eyes me suspiciously but doesn't say anything. Theo, however, gives me a knowing look. 

"Are we ready for this?" Colton asks, still looking me over. I can see his eyes searching for something in me, but I refuse to let him find it. 

Instead, I nod my head and turn away from him. I hear him huff before he unlocks and opens the door. I follow him inside and the first thing I smell is the metallic scent of blood. It's so strong I can taste it. I allow my eyes to look over the room. It is large, much larger than any cell that I have been in. There is a wood table in the centre. A man is chained to the far wall with a cloth bag over his head. Even with the bag, I know the man is my father. 

I want to run to him, free him and tell him everything will be alright, but I know I can't. So instead, I look down at the floor as Colton steps toward my father. 

"Good morning, Dad." Colton sneers as he rips the bag from his head. "Rise and shine!"

My father groans, making me lift my head. His face is black and blue. The sight fuels the fire inside me even more and I begin to shake with rage. I watch him slowly peel his eyes open, blinking back the sleep. It isn't long before he sees me, shame and sorrow floods his hazel eyes.