Derrick the Great

"Alpha?" Derrick called out. I looked at him, only to realize that he was staring at me with obvious concern clearly written on his face. "...you're daydreaming. Are you sure you're okay?" he worriedly asked.

I shrugged lightly. I didn't know how long I had been here though, sitting alone as I staring off nowhere. There was a wild tornado currently whirling in my head --- messing me up over and over again as I thought about Cole at home, what he had said to me a last few days when we were still up on top of that hill, my fear of losing him and all.

When Cole had told me that he couldn't do it anymore, what did it meant? Did he wanted to stop trying to be healed or, did he wanted to stop giving me a chance? Did he changed his mind after he'd realized how much I don't deserve it? Was he tired of me? Or, did it meant he couldn't pretend to accept me in his life any longer? I don't know. All I knew was that, Cole didn't seem happy. He was sad and devastated, seemingly frustrated too, hopeless and angry.

"I'm fine..." I answered finally. I let out a deep, long sigh as I ran my fingertips through my hairs. "...it's just that...I'm worry about Cole".

Derrick frowned. Silently, he then took a seat beside me on the ground.

"What happens?" I heard him asked. "...are you guys fighting?".

"Kinda".

"Why?".

I was silent. I swallowed a lump of saliva built itself inside my throat as I quietly plucked the grasses.

"Just...a small problem..." I said lowly. "...i--it's just a misunderstand. Cole suddenly throws a fit a--and I was really confuse".

"Have you try to talk to him?" Derrick asked.

I lightly shook my head, and when I heard Derrick sighed heavily, I knew he was being really serious.

"It's a normal thing when you guys are fighting in a relationship, you know..." he started. Then, when he held his hand up in front of my face; I'd noticed he was wearing a small plain golden ring on his pinky. I frowned confusedly. "...a promise ring Carl got me when he was going to the city with his siblings. He'd told me he wanted to surprise me, so without asking, he just bought me the ring using the size of his thumb. But it was too small, so I just put it on my pinky. Adorable, isn't it?" he asked as he wiggled his fingers. "...that boy has a slim fingers, and he---".

"Wait. You and Carl---what?".

Chuckling shyly, he then replied; "We're mated".

"What?!" I almost shouted.

"Six months ago. Now he's pregnant with a baby girl..." he said. I could hear how excited he was, and I couldn't help but to feel utterly jealous about it. My best friend would be a father really soon, but here I am, still wondering if Cole ever love me because of my stupidness. Then, lowering his voice down, he added; "...actually, he's already pregnant even before we're mated. We'd fool around, a lot, and after I'd found out he is my mate on his 19th birthday, I'd made it official few months after yours. It's just a small, simple party, but we had a lot of fun though".

I pressed my lips into a thin line.

Only if I'm not a foolish, arrogant douchebag back then, maybe I would be as happy like Derrick...

"...the baby girl is now seven months and two weeks old".

"And when is the due date?" I asked.

"18th September..." Derrick answered happily. "...and we're still trying to find a really cute name for the baby girl. Sometimes we even have a small quarrel over it, but, at the end of the day, we're working everything out pretty well..." he added with a chuckle. "...because you know, tolerance and communication is the key to a happy relationship".

I gulped.

"...and about you and Cole, maybe you should try to talk to him. Ask him what is wrong, what bothers him, what makes him mad. Because you know, sometimes, submissive werewolf are very secretive. They keep everything inside to themselves, and we as the dominant werewolves should realize that. We have to throw our ego aside, care for their feelings, treat them like a prince, listen to them, try to understand them and all..." he said. He was smiling small before he added; "...I know it's hard at first but, I think Carlisle is even more deeply in love with me now. Because, you know, when you're mated, you're no longer alone. You have more responsibilities. You have someone else's heart to take care of. You have to lower your ego, change your attitude and most importantly, dare to take a risk. Dare for a change. Dare for the upcoming challenges. Dare to take the responsibilities. Dare for everything. It's hard, but I know you can do it, Kyle. You're a great person, a great leader, a great mate, and a great future father. I know you can do it".

Then, I looked away. Burning heat of embarrassment crawled on my cheeks like fire, and for a second, I wondered if Derrick would ever say the same things to me if he find out the bad things I'd done to Cole. Because I am, in fact, far to be considered a great mate...because a great mate didn't abuse his partner. A great future father didn't kill his child. I am not great. Hell. I wasn't even close to that. I wasn't anything great.

"Thanks though..." I said finally. I stared at an empty space --- letting Derrick's words to sink in the deepest abyss of my mind. Derrick was right anyway. Then, after inhaling a deep, long breath, I added, quite hesitantly; "...I--I'll try to talk with him tonight".

Derrick smiled warmly as he casually patted my back.

"You know you should do it sooner or later. You guys are mated anyway. There's no way you guys going to live like this forever...you know, fighting, not talking to each other..." he said again. "...you guys have to solve the conflict like adults".

I chuckled. But, deep inside my heart, I was scared and nervous because I knew I am wrong. I knew I am the one who had started everything...the one who complicate everything, rejecting Cole who was willing to accept me as his mate, turning his life into a living hell and abusing him mentally, emotionally and physically.

If only I just accept him to be my mate and acted like a normal couple...maybe things would be different than it was now.

"Thanks again..." I said. I smiled at him, making sure to make it looked the warmest despite how fucked up I am actually inside.