Chapter Twenty-One: Ghost In The Mirror

[Laurence]

"I want to go back, Laurence." Kristy looks up at me, eyes filled with certainty and demanding. "I don't want to be here a second longer than I need to be."

"Why, though?"

Kristy scoffs, and her scowl hardens considerably more. "Do you even have to ask that? My father was just murdered by the same Immortals that want to get me. I don't want to be here any longer than I have to be."

"Of course." I reply simply. "You must...you must be feeling upset after the loss of your father. I'm sorry."

Kristy just growls something under her breath that sounds suspiciously like "damn insensitive men," and the storms past me, hands balled up into fists.

Oliver chuckles slightly, and I shoot him a confused look.

"What did I do?" I ask; Oliver just smiles broadly and pats my shoulder reassuringly.

"Never underestimate the unbalanced hormones of a woman. You're insensitive, she has that much figured out, at least. And because of that," Oliver points in the direction where Kristy stormed off, and grins even wider, "she's now running off to the suddenly-sympathetic arms of your rival."

My jaw clenches, and if I didn't know any better I'd say Oliver is about to burst out in a fit of hysterical laughter.

That arsehole.

"Oh, see, hit a nerve. So you'd better go after her before she decides to run to Seth everytime a problem arises-"

"Shut up." I snarl, and then sigh, pulling a hand through my hair and shaking my head slowly. "I just...I don't know what else to do. I don't do compassion, or...or empathy. I...I don't know how to react when she gets all hormonal and upset and decides to run to me for some sympathy. I...I don't know, I-"

"See? Insensitive. She saw that, and so decided to run to Seth, who spends most of his time around the women in his coven. So he knows more about women than you."

"Shut up." I snarl, and then hear a rumble. I look around me slowly, as does Oliver, and then Rosetta skids to a stop in front of Oliver and I.

"We need to get out of here now." She says quickly, in rather a panicked tone. Oliver raises his eyebrows, and then another rumble sounds out.

"Why?"

"I believe the Damnata know of the Oracle's whereabouts. They've come to collect her."

"What?!" I gape; Oliver just blinks in surprise, and then David appears next to Rosetta.

"The Damnata. They have come for Kristy. I find this most unusual that I did not receive any sort of vision or premonition in warning to this occurrence-"

"Enough of the talking, and let's just get Kristy out of here already!" I snarl; Seth and Kristy choose this moment to finally reappear, but this time Kristy looks suddenly worried, not the slightest bit of rage left within her eyes.

"What's the situation?" Seth asks, eyes narrowed as he looks to David and Oliver. Kristy meets my gaze, and I smile reassuringly at her.

"The Damnata have knowledge of the Oracle's whereabouts. We have to get her to safety."

"The Oracle has a name, you know." Seth mutters; I shoot him a disgruntled look, and then I hear a crash. David, Oliver and Rosetta look suddenly defensive, and Seth and I move to protect Kristy as a low, maniacal cackle sounds out. The windows all shatter, glass crumbling on the ground in thick shards. I see several dark blurs, and then the familiar flash of red eyes tells me exactly who this is.