Chapter Twenty-Six: The Good Left Undone

Nocturna Territory, London

[Jake]

Why I chose to betray those closest to me, I will never be able to explain. Corruption is something that is not for the faint-hearted; it must be contemplated carefully, and with one's full sense of mind and utmost attention. Common sense does not fall into this equation.

Instinct, on the other hand, is another matter completely.

Especially if you're Jake Illingworth. Which I am.

It wasn't an easy option, truthfully. Betrayal never is. Unless you're insane. But at least I, unlike the others in the Diurna, still grasp a small fraction of my former self. Humanity.

"Jake. What d'you think?" Janus, the youngest of the four Werrwulfen left in the Diurna, nudges me lightly in the ribs. I snap out of my reverie instantly, frowning deeply again.

"Huh?" I arch an eyebrow, and his face falls flat almost instantly.

"Jake," he sighs, "stay focused. She's on the brink of consciousness."

"Silvano may think he can spook her out of unconsciousness. But he can't." I sigh deeply, brows furrowed in concentration. I punch the bridge of my nose, a habit of mine for when I feel stressed or agitated. "This won't be easy at all."

"No one said it was going to be easy. And it's worse for you, mate, I know. So here's the deal. Aryx and Sam storm the gates, hold the others back, like a stakeout. We just seize the Oracle, completing our objection, and run off to Damnatalia and to victory!"

I snort at his immaturity. "There's just one problem."

"What's that?"

"This isn't Call Of Duty. And besides, the Nocturna House doesn't have gates."

"Okay, so how's about we just all storm in, grab the Oracle, kill anyone that gets in our way-"

"No." Sam, a muscular chunk of Native American Werrwulfen, booms. His muddy-brown eyes are filled with command and disapproval. Janus's watery-blue eyes are suddenly filled with anxiety. "Your downfall is that you act on impulse. The best way to obtain the Oracle is simple: first obtain a larger Pack. We're too low on numbers to amount for any kind of match for the Nocturna."

"No." Aryx snarls, pushing Sam aside. Sam growls threateningly, but Aryx just coldly stares him down until Sam is forced to break eye contact. Then Aryx glances towards Janus and I. "We do not require more Werrwulfen. Silvano Damnatan has kindly sorted out some...assistance, to keep the rest of the Nocturna busy whilst we seize the Oracle. And Clemente is making sure that Mikhael, the Nocturna's leader and creator, runs to the Damnata, to join his siblings once again."

I just snort. "As if he'll ever run to them again."

Aryx's movements are quick, blurred, and instant. He seizes me by the throat, snarling menacing, I just smirk. I'm so used to this, so this doesn't really have any effect on me anymore.

"You're no Alpha, Aryx. You can put on a good threat, sure. You can scare off a few smaller Werrwulfen. Throw a few punches. Hell, you can even kill the former Alpha. But you'll never amount to any memorable greatness or success. You know why?"

It is then that I hear the familiar voice, and I almost jump, startled for a second. I would've jumped, if only Aryx didn't have me by the throat, restricting my movement.

"Because the Diurna were never destined for corruption. They were never meant to turn from the path of the Militia of the Damned." Everyone turns to face Mikhael, the leader and creator of the Nocturna Coven. "But then again, sometimes, in severe cases where such lives and power are at steak, I...cannot deny such an opportunity to join my family again at the front line of combat."