Introduction

The battle she had foreseen was coming but for an unforeseen reason. As the two she had sentenced to fight stood on the opposite ends, it was the moment she realized that all along she had been standing in the middle, being the foreteller as well as the cause of the battle. It was then that she realized that fate was indeed pre-decided. It was not their power that was going to decide the winner. As she stood, the queen to be crowned she realized that along with the joy of one's victory she would forever have to bear the weight of the other's defeat. It was the nature of the curse she had proclaimed on herself; the curse called love.

The breeze that swept the sand soaked with blood spilled over countless centuries and basked in the blinding white sun, was harsh, warm and whipping across his face. The bleeding wounds, the stinging skin, the watering eyes or the aching body did not matter anymore. In front of him stood his brother, the man foretold to die at his hands, his king once upon a time and behind him, far away still watching them with a torn expression was the woman he ever dared to love. It was then he realized, that he might succeed in fulfilling the prophecy, yet he might never win, not the battle nor her heart; he was too late.

Can a man be in two places at once? In one place, he may stand with the sword dipped in blood of his own race, about to confront someone who shared his blood, to engage in a battle which had a pre-destined ending. In another, where there was no burning sun or the dusty smell of blood, in his mind it was snowing. It reminded him of a very old friend, who loved that sight, and his own feelings for her. He would see her once more very soon, but the thought gave him no pleasure any more. For he has now tasted the sweetest of life, the stronger taste of death held no fancy over him. Then he realized how truly blessed he was to have known something beyond the curse sentenced upon him.

She was out of breath, hope and options. There was nothing more to do, but watch, watch as the destiny revealed itself, mocked her and ruined her. The battle field, the figures taking their positions made no significance in her mind as her eyes remained fixed upon the only one that mattered, and the only one to whom she had never mattered no matter what. She had been told, lovingly and threateningly, to amend her course, to back off, in simple terms to give up her love. But here she realized why she could not do that. There was no love to give up; she was never loved at all.

*

It is their story, that will be told, retold and told again...

VAJRA

AN: It has come to my attention that there's something wrong with quotation marks in dialogs. I'm really sorry about that. Give me some time. It'll be corrected in due course, just bear in mind if you come across such situation.
Hope you will enjoy the story nevertheless!

Thank you!
Sakura