Chapter 17 Part II

Blues and blacks

He blinked at her, watching that never faltering smile tug her lips and wondered once more...what thought was turning the wheels of her devilish mind. Suvanna of yore was a girl with transparent emotions, with a single glance at her face you would know the innermost thoughts of hers. Suvanna that stood before him, wore no mask either, her face as expressive as ever; but Pratula knew from an instinct (perhaps the blood they share playing its part) that the accuracy of those expressions were non existent. He drew in a breath, that rattled in-audibly and continued to muse. He had done everything in his power to prevent her from turning into a political animal. His reasons although had been far from affectionate. Pratula as a prince had seen the gravity of power held in a woman's palm. It had once been his mother, with her siren call like charm on his father; the woman practically ran the country hiding in the shadows of her husband's crown. He did give his mother the credit of making him the ambitious man he was. After all it had been her blood running through him that triggered all that power lust. But when more women from his family stepped in to arena of courtroom politics that was hardly something Pratula admired; especially the dispute with his sister Princess Arya had been an unnecessary hitch.

With those thoughts circulating his mind and lips curling into a sneer he turned back to his daughter. His eyes swept over the young man kneeling at his throne, seemingly blank eyed.

"Am I to believe that this...gift of yours does not bring war on its wake?" He fought to keep his voice in control as he questioned Suvanna.

"Am I to believe that while you're under the illusion that he is entirely controlled by your power, this - this Vajra won't act as a spy to his people? Or am I to speculate what exactly your intentions behind this action are and exactly where your loyalties lie?"

Suvanna watched him for a moment, her sapphire eyes slightly narrowing before dissolving into a fit of clear bell like laughter.

"My king, in spite of all the narratives on your bravery one might be tempted to think you're wary of the Lord of Vajras if you make such statements. Please retain from denting your glory father."

The court drew in a collective breath as angry purple blotches appeared on Pratula's cheekbones.

Suvanna's gaze did not waver as she held her ground, that steely smile back on place.  

"I made a vow all those years ago that I will bring the Lord of Vajras to your knees. Today I am one step closer to that destination with the brother closest to his heart in my entrapment. Surely, father you must bless me on this occasion."

"Prove it!" Pratula spat, the corner of his mouth twitching.

"I beg your pardon?"

"Prove your hold over him is above his loyalty to his blood." The king stated finally.

Suvanna clasped her hands together, her lips pursing over the overly sweet smile. For a moment a trace of malice crossed the sapphire orbs as she openly glared at her father.

"As you wish your highness," her bow as fleeting and graceful as ever and her voice tight yet unflinching she uttered as she walked up to Lakshya who still stared ahead unfocused.

With a rustle of velvet she undid the dark cloak she wore over her deep crimson dress and produced the bejewelled dragged that hung on her waistband. The sapphire eyes lifted to the king once more.

"Perhaps blood would wash away the blood bonds?" She suggested to a mute court as she held the dagger to the prince. "Slit your wrist!"

Lakshya turned to look at her, his eyes as empty as ever and took the offered tool without a word.