Chapter 21 part II

Chapter 21 part B

Changing winds

It was the same scene, the same gates of Shamashikara, the same windy steps that ended in the stone path paved for wagons, the same Mohan walking by her side. But then; it was not the same. The time had passed, there was Megha, waiting for her at the entrance to the wagon, his hair and the lapels of the wagon roof flapping in the wind. Even she was not the same person anymore, not the naive, half human chased by the warrior elves, back and forth between the thin borders that separated the elven lands from the human world. The long skirts swept behind her, the white of Nagas trimmed with the maroon of Anjanis. Her black hair twisted behind her head, then falling in curls down her shoulders, softly brushing against her elbows. She had her arm linked with Mohan, who was leading her towards the wagons. They both glided, like true elven noble, speaking in hushed voices as they went.

"Avantika wishes you fair luck," Mohan said slowly.

"Means, she is still torn between accepting our proposal and upholding her pride." She replied casually. Mohan's lips twitched into a ghost of his usual grin.

"You're getting good at this, faster than I had expected-"

"I don't have a choice," she cut in. "I was thrust into this political struggle as a kid, it's time I make some moves myself."

They stopped walking, Mohan's gaze boring into hers. In moments like those he looked older than the mask of youth he wore on his features, his gaze was ancient, weary and wise. There was a pensive silence, before he spoke again.

"You always had a choice," his words were finite. "But I knew in the end you'll choose him. Just like I knew Arya would never return, Aruna would never leave even if all that had been promised were taken back, just like I know Annapurna would continue to chase a mirage, Suvanna would always thrive for her father's love - I had known we would stand here, saying our farewells."

"You told me once, you taught the Vajra Prince," she begun, a little hesitantly. "What exactly did you teach him Mohan?"

"To survive," his answer was short.

"Is that the same thing you're teaching me? Does survival always comes at a price?"

"Everything comes at a price." He answered with a little bow. "That is the fundamental lesson of it all. Battles you should be wary of are waged right here, behind these walls, right here -" he tapped her temple. "- In your mind, those battles are fought with secrets, weaknesses, what you know of the other. Every Astra has a time to be unleashed, similarly a secret should be used when it is of value. Ten years ago, had Pratula known you are Arya's daughter, he would not have blinked twice before striking you dead, but the times have changed, his priorities have changed. The secret that could have gotten you killed a decade ago, can help you survive in the Anjani court now," he smirked involuntarily. "Perhaps not just in the Anjani court, in the Vajra Mandapa as well. The prince was wise, to play that Lady of Anjanis card to the Bhavas. Or else I wouldn't have gotten this idea."

"Sometimes I wonder, which one of you learn from the other?"

"He learned from me a long time ago," Mohan chuckled in spite of himself. "Now - I must confess the times have changed. His ways are more updated than mine, more cruel than mine."

"You don't like him, do you?"

"You should not either," he clapped her shoulder. "But I know, there is something about him, that lures people in. You can held but admire him, even at his worst." His eyes were understanding, as they reached the foot of the stairs. "He will be a great king some day, if we make through this storm unscathed."