Chapter 22 part I

Chapter 22 A

Lonely World

Her chamber was circular, with a high ceiling decorated with paintings of folktales and deep red drapes hanging from the high windows. Everything had colors of fall the reds, golds and yellows; it might be a cheerful room in the sunlight. Beyond the windows the sky was dusky purple, few stars scattered over the thickets of clouds. Swara took a deep breath, trying to hold back the tears running down her face. No one is supposed to know why she was here and her obvious horror would give her secret away. Muttering to herself and her arms wrapped around her shaking figure she sank to the ground at the foot of her four-poster, leaning her head against the carved and polished wood.

The battle she had witnessed had been brutal. She shuddered at the recollection. The practicing Naga soldiers had never came even closer to the caliber of these brothers. And Lakshya; he was not in his senses was he? Then Sanskar; what exactly had he been thinking? Watching them cut each other open was excruciating; especially so, since the sight stimulated her mind to play a different version of this same dual one she knew would end with his death.

It was this same fury in Lakshya's eyes that empty, monstrous thirst for blood; the corner of his lip tugging upwards as a growl escaped his throat. There would be an old cut across his cheek, scarring his boyishly handsome face and that demon of a sword secured in his grip. His moves would be smoother than they are now; but the way he flipped across the air, his blade swishing as effortlessly as a whip each stroke would be rewarded with blood.

Distantly she heard someone banging on her door; she had walked out of the emulations abruptly; of cause people would come looking. Hastily she wiped her eyes, trying to restrain her ragged breathing, and stood up dusting her clothes before speaking in an even tone.

"Enter.

To her relief instead of a flock of attendants who would consider her a doll that needed pampering, Megha rushed in, closing the door behind his back.

"What exactly where you thinking, my lady? His tone was worried and reprimanding at the same time. He stopped leaving a distance of few feet between them and gave her a disturbed stare. "Are you all right?

Swara waved her arms wordlessly, her eyes starting to burn with fresh tears. She collapsed on the nearest chair and placed a cool palm over her burning eyelids.

"I can't watch them fight " her voice shook as she confessed. "It reminds me "

"Of the vision? Megha supplied, kneeling at her feet a hand stretched out to take hers. Swara nodded wordlessly, a sob choking her. "He is not going to die Swara not all visions come true.

She stared at him, faintly recalling Sanskar had told her the same words once before. Not all visions come true...

"But that doesn't stop me from having nightmares. Watching them fight, the way they fought it brought back everything I tried to push deeper into the back of my mind. It made me realize how real it is how detailed and accurate that vision was. He Lakshya was exactly what he was back there, a senseless bloodthirsty monster!

"You can't let him affect you, Megha reminded her gently. "You can't appear to be concerned about the Yuvraj no one should know, you're here for him. Abruptly standing up, Swara let her eyes wonder around the room, taking in the shadowed corners, the silent shadows brushing against the stone walls. "There are no spies " Megha answered her fear, slowly. "I can sense it, when someone approaches. I can sense their auras from a mile. Remember I knew when Pratula's spies were tailing us back in the woods?

She nodded distractedly, hugging herself once more.

"What should I do now? She asked in a small voice. "What is going to happen now?