Chapter 14

Tales of broken

Asanibhavan palace, December, 1991

Pearls had always been Arya's favorite of jewels. Their soft shimmer, set against the smooth outer shell, reminded her of rain - washed dawns dazzling with silver sunlight. She picked up a string of those, from her silver chest of ornaments and held it against her creamy throat, judging its effect in the ornate mirror she sat in front of. The pearls streamed down from the gaps between her fingers, and rested against the pale sea green fabric of her dress, casting a faint glow over the embroidered neckline of same color.

After examining her reflection for a while, she stood up, the pale green fabric flowing to her ankles and reached the drawers beside the dressing table. The drawer held the most unnatural set of contents one would imagine in the chambers of a princess, who looks as fragile and delicately beautiful as Arya does. Inside, wrapped in blue silk to preserve against the moisture of the atmosphere were blades of varying lengths. Letting the light reflected by their edges dance against her eyes, Arya ran a finger over the cold daggers, choosing the twin pair of silver worked, jade hilted ones to carry with her.

She sheathed them against her waist by the silver embroidered belt and hastily started to brush her hair. The door opened noiselessly, leading the maids inside. They watched her wide eyed realizing the lady they were supposed to help in getting dressed was already scooping up her hair in to a very unstylish knot and fastening it with a pin that looked like a deadly steel spike.

Pardon me my lady, but you're supposed to...' the maid begun, in an unsettled note.

To have an audience with the Vajra, I know.' Arya said in a finite tone. In case you're suggesting I should change my dressing sense, let me tell you, the Vajra knows better.'

Not waiting for the maids to gather their wits and point out perhaps she should wear the Anjani colors, Arya marched out, her skirts swishing as they swept the polished passageway.

In years long gone they had been friends. Arya mused on how swiftly the balance tipped. Both of them had once thought their fates were not written with blood and tied with political ties. There was that illusion of freedom, they had taken for granted. That was before she became the lady of Anjanis and he became the Vajra.

The curtain that parted them flustered with his image but he looked the same as she remembered. The young Vajra stood at the large balcony of the meeting chamber, his lean figure shadowy against the morning sun and his hair blowing gently across his face by the breeze that ruffled the curtains. It was strange, to see someone so unaffected by power, when she had her own life turned upside down with one title bestowed upon her.

 Finally a homely face,' he smiled rather wistfully. It's so good to see you old friend.'

Arya curtsied with her head dipping and rising gracefully. Not many Vajra lords would be proud to acknowledge a woman as their old friend.' She said then. What is the news from Asanikshastra my lord? When are you riding to battle?'

And not many Anjani ladies would be interested in talking about anything other than music and parties,' The Vajra chuckled, as he held out his hand for her. Come; my lady, we did not have curtains between us before did we?'

That was before I became the lady of Anjanis and you the Vajra my lord. Things are different.' Arya pointed out.

The Vajra sighed. I hope someone might stop reminding me that.' He turned away, gazing beyond Arya's vision and continued. I never wanted this.'

And those who did should not hate us for this either.' Arya completed his thought and then shaking her head, parted the curtains and walked to the railing he was leaning against. He looked at her and smiled faintly, and she finished saying, and you do have a way of getting what you want; my lord.'