Chapter 13

Unveiled

As the month of March grew to a close, the winds and the waves changed; so did Sanskar's judgment of duty. The days grew darker and the skies often littered with purple, grayish blue and dark gray clouds. Mornings would wash away in drizzles that confined them inside the ship and nights were dedicated to the roaring waves. The slight storm did not cause any harm to the voyage and the passengers were safe in the embrace of their luxurious vessel.

The changing conditions did not sit well with Shobha or perhaps it was simply her growing sense of righteousness against the ploy she had taken part in. It was an unpredicted spell of hypertension and she fainted few hours in to another rainy day. A doctor was summoned by a frantic Sanskar and he had advised her to remain in bed, well rested for the remaining of the day and the next day to follow. She was taken to the infirmary to remain under observation for the day.

That was how Swara found them, when she returned from her early scheduled training for the last of their performances. Shobha was resting in the infirmary, with the covers drawn, half covering her and Sanskar sitting on the bedside, talking in a muffled tone.

Why didn't anyone call me?' She cried out, with a fair imitation of Sanskar's earlier reaction. Dida, you didn't take the tablets right? What is this, I leave for a couple of hours and you go on and do this to yourself?'

Sanskar turned to Dida, with a crooked eyebrow.

Dida, huh?'

Shobha smiled, rather faintly.

I asked her to call me that. It sounds odd; when you're called Mrs. Bose...makes me feel like her principle or something.' She shrugged and Swara sat on the edge of the bed, looking at her concernedly. Oh god you two!' Dida exclaimed. Don't look at me as if I've lost a limb or two; come on, that doctor's mad!'

Not as much as you are.' Both Sanskar and Swara said simultaneously. They caught each other's eye and grinned, before Sanskar gained some of his senses and looked away.

Dida looked from one glittering pair of eyes to the other,  with an amused smile curling her lips and sank back to her pillows. Now what exactly are you gonna do about that?' She said then. I mean, when you leave I'm free to flip back to my original plans for today right?' Her cheeky smile went unnoticed by them as both snapped in to orders at the comment.

After a few minutes of threatening, blackmailing and bribing, Dida agreed to lay back and rest, only if the two would keep her company. Accepting defeat, Swara sat back, on the couch and folded her arms. Give up, Mr. Maheshwari. You know very well she wouldn't listen.'

But Miss Gadodia, you had lunch plans with your crew right?'

That can wait.' Swara told him picking up the empty tea cups and leaving to put them away. Sanskar smiled slightly as he sat back to watch over Dida and caught the lady eying him sharply.

What?'

She is a good girl.' Dida said knowingly. Someone who has a lot more to herself than being the "eye".

I know,' He nodded grimly.

Let her go Sanskar, lift the spell.'

You know that I can't Dida, I gave my word.'

Your father had given his word to someone too, it nearly cost an entire kingdom their life.' Dida pressed her lips with a distant look in her eyes. You know the tale better than I do.'

*

The cafeteria was a cheerful place. Although Ragini liked spending her time in the deck, feeling the winds and watching the ocean, the clam quiet surrounding of the dining hall was also soothing. They sat at a corner table, as they planned during the practice and waited for Swara to show up. Lakshya sitting across her was dazzling in the sunlight. Ragini often wondered if it was some malfunction in her eyesight or he really emitted a soft glow.