Chapter 6

Above is Megha, for those already met him ;-)

The Vessels

Mumbai, 26th June, 2010

The silvery light was shifting through the branches, dipped against the window; creating a display of pendulous shadows across the peach color walls. The white lace curtains, dark wooden furniture and the heavily framed photographs on the walls were unknown to Swara as she blinked at them. There was a large vase of chrysanthemum by her bed side and a lady was arranging it, cutting off the stems of the flowers in her hand to suit the vase and humming a tune to herself as she worked.

Swara shifted a little, so the shadows casted over the lady's face would shift with her, giving her a clear vision of her face. The lady, noticed her moving and turned to face her. Her face was unfamiliar to Swara, but lit with a warm smile.

You woke up already Jaanu?' She asked her, still smiling as she kept aside the flowers in her hand and sat on the edge of her bed, helping her to a seating position. How's your head feeling now?'

I'm sorry...' Swara said slowly, raking her brain to recognize this woman. Do we know each other?'

The woman looked at her shocked. Then she stood up, trembling slightly.

Why, Janki, you can't recognize your Ma?' She said in a terrified tone and before Swara could investigate her confusion turned over her shoulder and called out for someone. Shekar! Shekar!'

Two men, one clearly a doctor and the other in his late forties, rushed in to the room. The woman (Shermishta was her name as Swara discovered later) threw her arms around the later, staring to sob.

She doesn't remember me! She asked me who I was!'

The doctor caught Swara's bewildered expression and gestured her to be calm, meanwhile Shekar, consoled his wife.

The doctor said this could happen my dear,' he muttered patting her hair and leading her away from the room. She had a terrible accident, that could have messed up with her memories...' muttering some more incoherent words to his wife who was nodding her head, Shekar Gadodia left the room, shutting the door behind them.

Swara who was glaring after them in concentration snapped at the sound and looked at the doctor, shaking her head.

Alright, I don't know what they told you, but I'm not what they think I am.'

The doctor smiled at her gently and occupied the position at the edge of her bed, where Shermishtra sat earlier.

I know Swara,' he said in a very familiar tone and held out his palm for her. Swara, looked at him astounded for a moment and then hesitantly placed her palm on his much larger one, closing her eyes.

Mohan?' Her eyes snapped open again. The doctor, who looked nothing like Mohan, or Mohan in disguise, smiled at her, nodding slightly. How, I mean, how come? You can change your appearance?'

No dear, unfortunately I can't.' Mohan sighed. It is an art I've learned in my time with Anjani's. I can influence people's nature, use them to roam places I normally cannot. You might remember I was posing as a gothic freak, outside your playground many years ago?'

Uh, oh.' Swara said, tilting her head. And the couple? Do you know them?'

I've worked with Shekar Gadodia's mentor, in 1980s up until the time Shekar himself became a renowned magician, that had been my cover in the human world...taught the man a few elven tricks myself.'