Chapter 3

Aryamaan makes an appearance above :-)

The conspirers

Vajrateerta borders, 3rd November 2005

A snow storm had started, by the time first light broke the dark walls of horizon. The group led by Sanskar was heading towards the temple of Agni. The dense forest, the uneven pathways had already slowed them down. The heavy snow fall was making it harder even more. Mohan shivered, as he fussed over Swara's cloak. The rest of the horsemen had moved ahead of them. The hooves of the horses spattering fresh snow away from the dump ground made no sound as they galloped away. The Vajras did not feel cold obviously, but Mohan was a Naga and Kaaldwara the city of Nagas did not have winters. He was more worried about the child, who had human blood. She was shivering too. Her cheeks were oddly rosy and her nose icy. He could hear her teeth clattering inside her mouth. Mohan's fingers had turned stiff with the chill; he was not sure how much further he will manage to ride in this temperature.

I think you should head back to Agnidyut before the wind freezes you over Mohan,' Sanskar said, his mare gliding through the endless white ground effortlessly and his cloak blowing after him as he joined them. Nagas and winters isn't a wonderful combination.'

If I go, Swara goes with me. I'm not going to hand her over to a bunch of -he gulped. Vajras' He said then.

It seemed Swara affirmed his words. Her grip on his arm tightened as Mohan said those words. Sanskar looked rather amused with Mohan's lack of respect.

Careful,' he said in a softer tone. It's your fortune that you weren't talking to a typical royal; for an example if the queen mother was here, she would have your head.'

Mohan brushed off his indirect threat and glared at him for a moment, as if reaching a conclusion.

What exactly are you planning?' He asked then. What is waiting for us in the temple of Agni?'

Nothing that concerns you,' Sanskar said shortly. - Or the safety of the lady under your responsibility...'

That's not as good as nothing.'

Mohan, I'm not an enemy.' His voice was calm yet insisting. I intend to keep my word, can't you trust me?'

I can't my lord, not when it concerns the safety of the girl who had your brother sentenced to banishment not many nights ago.'

Fine,' Sanskar pursed his lips in an irked manner. I was concerned about both you and the child. Freeze, if you're so interested in freezing,' he pulled the reins and turned away from them swiftly before adding. And please do hurry up; we don't have the whole day to chat around.'

Wait,' a small voice called after him. I'll come with you.'

Mohan gritted his teeth, not out of cold but bitterness. Manipulation; the key word in Vajra dictionary and the Yuvraaj is the first under the list of examples. Shaking his head he looked at Swara, who was watching him wide eyed and slightly shivering. She was concerned for him. After all, even a child could see how hard it was for Mohan to handle the cold. He was touched by her care, but this, was not the time.

Turning his head he looked at Sanskar, who was facing them again. Although this was his original plan, he looked a little taken aback himself. It seemed he had not hoped to find her tackled down so easily or to hold that much compassion for anyone; not after what she did to his brother.

She did not look at him for some reason. Instead her eyes were fixed on Mohan, trying to make him abide her decision silently. Sanskar watched their muted exchange, knowing Mohan would not be so easily convinced. Swara shivered again.