Chapter 2: The Child

Eleven years had slipped away since Seraphina Picquery discovered Hermione in the woods. In that span, the world had witnessed a cascade of events. Gellert Grindelwald, during Seraphina's tenure as President, cast a menacing shadow over the magical and non-magical realms, inciting the specter of war in his bid to expose the Wizarding World. Sensing the imminent threat, Madam Picquery took decisive action, declaring the Thunderbird a protected species in 1927, just a year after Newt Scamander's visit to New York. Recognizing the danger posed by Grindelwald's machinations, she extended the protective legislation to encompass all magical creatures native to North America.

Throughout this tumultuous period, Seraphina kept Hermione's existence shrouded in secrecy, a hidden gem amidst the chaos. It wasn't until the cessation of Grindelwald's reign of terror that she unveiled the truth to a stunned wizarding populace. The revelation rocked the community, sparking speculation about Seraphina's decision not to seek another term as MACUSA President. She maintained that Hermione was her biological daughter, dispelling any notion of adoption and fueling further intrigue among her peers.

As the dust settled on Grindelwald's defeat, Seraphina's focus shifted to nurturing her bond with Hermione, safeguarding her daughter from the prying eyes of the world. Yet, whispers persisted, casting shadows of doubt over her tenure as President and the true reason behind her departure from office.

Now residing in Savannah with her daughter, Seraphina found solace in the tranquil embrace of this coastal Georgia city. Situated on the banks of the Savannah River, the city exuded an old-world charm, renowned for its meticulously manicured parks, horse-drawn wagons, and stately antebellum architecture. Within the historic district, paved squares and verdant parks, such as Forsyth Park, provided sanctuaries of serenity, their ambiance heightened by the whispering embrace of Spanish moss-clad oak trees. Amidst this idyllic tableau stood the Gothic Revival Cathedral of Saint John the Baptist, a majestic landmark that anchored the picturesque district.

In the aftermath of her revelation to society, Seraphina found herself inundated with letters delivered by owls stationed outside her home. Among the deluge of correspondence, two missives rankled her the most. The first, from the Malfoys, bore an audacious request for a marriage arrangement involving her daughter—a proposition that incited Seraphina's ire, leading her to often consign such letters to flames or tear them asunder.

The second letter, from Rita Skeeter, elicited a similar response, albeit for different reasons. While not inherently opposed to journalists, Seraphina harbored deep reservations about Rita Skeeter's integrity, recognizing her penchant for sensationalism and profit-driven storytelling. Thus, she resolved to seek out alternative avenues for media engagement, steering clear of Rita Skeeter's dubious grasp, mindful of past disappointments wrought by the journalist's unscrupulous tactics.

"Mother?" called Hermione from outside Seraphina's office, her voice tinged with anticipation. Behind her stood Lucky, their faithful house elf.

"Yes, dear?" Seraphina replied, momentarily setting aside the papers on her desk. Despite the conclusion of her term, she still maintained a steady workload, including monthly reports for MACUSA.

"May I go to the lab?" Hermione asked, her eyes pleading with earnestness. Seraphina paused, her gaze meeting Hermione's with a mix of concern and affection. Last week, Hermione had come perilously close to causing a fire in the mansion's west wing. Seraphina couldn't deny her daughter's intelligence and curiosity, but she also feared the dangers that lay ahead if Hermione's inquisitiveness led her astray.

"I'm sorry, dear, but you can't," Seraphina replied with a heavy heart, knowing that her decision would disappoint Hermione.

"Please, Mom, I promise I won't do anything reckless, like last time," Hermione pleaded once more, her voice tinged with desperation. Seraphina's resolve wavered momentarily, but she knew she had to prioritize Hermione's safety above all else.

"Hermione, last week you nearly put yourself in danger, and I can't allow that to happen again. You know how much I love you, don't you?" Seraphina said gently, approaching Hermione and pulling her onto the sofa.

"I know," Hermione conceded, her shoulders slumping in resignation. She understood that when her mother said no, she meant it.

Seraphina tenderly patted Hermione's head and planted a kiss on her cheek, silently reassuring her of her unwavering love and protection.

"I'll go to the library then," said Hermione, planting a kiss on Seraphina's cheek before departing from her office. Seraphina watched her daughter leave with a mixture of pride and concern, her heart heavy with the weight of parental responsibility. Returning to her desk, she noticed two letters resting near the flower vase—a missive from Ilvermorny School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, and another from Hogwarts.

Seraphina longed to send Hermione to a school where she could flourish academically and socially. Yet, she couldn't shake the nagging fear that Hermione's insatiable curiosity might lead her into perilous situations, as it had last week. Hogwarts, with its esteemed reputation, beckoned as an enticing option, despite its lingering controversies.

Ilvermorny, nestled on Mount Greylock in Massachusetts, offered a distinctly American experience for magical education. With its diverse student body and rich traditions, it presented an attractive alternative to the storied halls of Hogwarts.

As Seraphina pondered her daughter's future, she couldn't help but feel torn. Both schools held their own merits and drawbacks, leaving her uncertain of the best path forward. With a sigh, she resolved to let Hermione make the decision herself when the time came.

"Maybe I'll let her choose someday," Seraphina mused aloud, tucking the letters away in her drawer for safekeeping. For now, she would trust in Hermione's judgment and guidance from their family's bond.