Chapter 7: A peace offering

Hermione's footsteps faltered as she entered the hospital wing, her heart heavy with guilt over what had transpired between her and Tom. Her eyes fell upon the scene before her: Archon and Lestrange standing vigil beside Tom's bedside as he slept, his expression peaceful in repose.

"Hermione..." Archon's voice cut through the silence, drawing her attention. Robastian and Nott glanced up, their expressions guarded yet curious.

"Hey, I just wanted to apologize," Hermione began, her voice tinged with remorse. "I also made a lemon cake as a peace offering." She approached them tentatively, setting the cake down on the nearby table beside Tom's bed.

"There's no need, Hermione," Tom spoke up, his voice soft but firm. "I'm sure you didn't mean any harm. After all, it was just a duel." His words offered reassurance, yet Hermione couldn't shake the weight of her actions. She had never intended to harm anyone, let alone use such dark magic. The memory of her mother's strict teachings against the dark arts flooded her mind, a reminder of the consequences of her actions.

Hermione took a deep breath, steeling herself for the conversation ahead. "I'm truly sorry, Tom," she said, her voice barely above a whisper. "I never meant for things to escalate."

Tom regarded her with a measured gaze, his expression unreadable. "Apology accepted, Hermione," he replied, his tone neutral. "But I must admit, I was surprised by your use of that spell."

Hermione's heart sank at the mention of the spell. "I know," she admitted, her voice tinged with regret. "I've never used it before, and I never thought I would." She glanced down at her hands, feeling a pang of guilt at the memory of the dark magic coursing through her veins.

Archon cleared his throat, breaking the tense silence that had settled over the room. "What matters now is that we move forward," he said, his voice gentle yet firm. "We're all here for Tom, after all."

Tom nodded in agreement, a hint of gratitude in his eyes. "Thank you, Archon," he said, his tone sincere. "And thank you, Hermione, for the cake. It's... thoughtful."

Hermione managed a small smile, grateful for the opportunity to make amends. "You're welcome," she replied, her voice tinged with relief. "And if there's anything else I can do to help, just let me know."

*****

Hermione's footsteps echoed softly in the hallway as she made her way towards the exit of Hogwarts, her mind preoccupied with thoughts of the day's events. Suddenly, she heard the familiar voice of Archon calling her name from behind.

"Hermione," Archon called out, catching his breath as he addressed her. His voice quivered with a hint of nervousness as he ventured, "If you don't mind, Hermione, would you care to join me for a visit to Hogsmeade this weekend?"

Hermione blinked in surprise, taken aback by the unexpected invitation. Sensing his apprehension, Archon hurriedly added, "If it's not convenient, of course, I understand," his nerves palpable for the first time. Standing silently beside him, Lestrange observed the exchange with keen interest.

"I would love to come," Hermione replied with a smile, her interest piqued by the prospect of experiencing Hogsmeade for the first time. "Mr. Augustus always used to say that the best butterbeer I could ever taste is at the Three Broomsticks," she added, her eyes sparkling with anticipation.

"In that case, I'll come to fetch you at 9 in the morning," Archon said eagerly, a wave of relief washing over him at her acceptance.

"I'll be waiting," Hermione replied, her smile widening as she anticipated the adventure ahead in Hogsmeade.

*****

The soft glow of candlelight illuminated Hermione's room as she sat at her desk, a parchment spread out before her. Her quill hovered over the paper, poised to capture the events of the day in ink. With a deep breath, she began to write, her thoughts drifting to her mother, who she longed to share her experiences with.

"Dearest Mum,

I hope this letter finds you well. Today was quite eventful, and I couldn't wait to tell you all about it. As I sit here in my room, the memories of the day flood my mind, and I can't help but feel the need to share them with you.

Firstly, I must tell you about a charming invitation I received from Archon. He asked if I would accompany him to Hogsmeade this weekend, and I couldn't refuse such a delightful offer. The prospect of exploring the village for the first time fills me with excitement, and I can't help but wonder what adventures await us there.

But that's not all, Mum. Earlier today, during Herbology class, Professor Sprout introduced us to a fascinating new plant called the Mimbulus Mimbletonia. It's a peculiar creature, covered in boils and emitting a foul stench when provoked. Despite its rather unappealing appearance, I found myself utterly captivated by its unique characteristics.

As the day draws to a close, I find myself feeling grateful for the opportunities Hogwarts has provided me with, and I can't help but think of you, Mum, and how much I wish you were here to experience it all with me. Your wisdom and encouragement have always been my guiding light, and I carry your love with me wherever I go.

I miss you more than words can express, but knowing that you're thinking of me gives me strength and courage to face each new day. Thank you for being my constant source of support and inspiration.

With all my love,

Hermione"

With a sigh of contentment, Hermione sealed the letter with wax and carefully addressed it to her mother.