Chapter 36: Return of lost

First year

"Are you sure that's a real spell? Well, it's not very good, is it? I tried a few simple spells just for practice and it all works for me"

Hermione was a couple of weeks away from turning twelve when she boarded the Hogwarts Express in 1991where she met Harry Potter and Ron Weasley while helping Neville Longbottom find his pet toad, Trevor.

Hermione demonstrated knowledge and talent with magic beyond most of those her age, despite having only recently discovered that she was a witch. She wished to be a Gryffindor or a Ravenclaw, and her wish was granted considering she did get Sorted into Gryffindor.

Hermione soon proved to be the best in all her classes, eager to please the professors and to help others learn, albeit in a bossy way that made it difficult for her to make friends. Although she was a know-it-all, Hermione did often help Neville Longbottom, who struggled in most classes other than Herbology.

Hermione strictly followed all school rules and tried to prevent other students from breaking rules and getting into trouble.

On one night, she followed Harry and Ron as they were leaving Gryffindor Tower to duel Draco. They were chased by Argus acting on a tipoff by Malfoy, into the third-floor corridor — forbidden to students — where they came face-to-face with Fluffy, a three-headed dog belonging to Hagrid.

Later on, she argued that her spying was to their benefit when she pointed out the dog had been standing on a trapdoor, which neither Harry nor Ron had noticed.

The friendship between Harry, Ron, and Hermione was solidified when, on Halloween, 1991. The three were forced to confront a mountain troll, which had been secretly let into the school by Professor Quirrell.
Unaware that a troll was on the loose in the school, Hermione had spent that day crying in the girls' bathroom after overhearing Ron making unkind comments about her.

The troll made its way into the bathroom she was in, and Harry and Ron came to her rescue, saving her. When Professors McGonagall, Severus Snape, and Quirrell arrived at the scene, Hermione covered for the boys, claiming she was fighting the troll because she had thought that she could manage, having read a great deal about them and that Ron and Harry had merely come to help her escape. From then on, the three students were best friends and spent large amounts of time together.

Second Year

Before she started her second year, Hermione wrote several letters to Harry at Privet Drive, all of which were intercepted by Dobby. As the house-elf wanted Harry to believe that his friends had forgotten him in order to prevent his return to Hogwarts. She and her parents accompanied Harry and the Weasley tDiagon Alley to shop for school supplies.

It was during her second school year that Hermione first encountered the prejudice and hatred surrounding her blood status, when Draco Malfoy, called her a "filthy little Mudblood" after she told him off for insulting the Gryffindor Quidditch team. Hermione had never heard the highly offensive term but looking around at everyone around her, it was an obvious fact. 

 Fred and George Weasley lunged at him, and Ron even tried to hex him, but it backfired, as his wand had been damaged. To help Hermione feel better about the incident, Hagrid urged her not to think about it, pointing out that she was a talented witch, regardless of what bigoted people said about her muggle-born status.

Harry and Ron were surprised, and Ron annoyed, by Hermione's obvious crush on Gilderoy Lockhart, who became that year's Defence Against the Dark Arts professor. She scored full marks on the first quiz in his class, which consisted entirely of questions pertaining to Lockhart's books, including a question regarding his favorite color (lilac) that most of the class had answered incorrectly. In fact, she went as far as to doodle hearts on her DADA assignments, not knowing until later that he was, in reality, a self-obsessed fraud.