Chapter 21: Muggle World

After Hermione purchases the book, Tom follows her.

"Hermione, are you still going somewhere?"

"Roam around", she said.

"You don't mind if I accompany you?", he said. The truth is that he has a hidden agenda.

While walking Hermione couldn't help but curious about Tom.

"Tom may I ask you something?", ask Hermione while they walk under the snow.

"Of course", granted Tom.

"I was curious because I never heard Riddle's pureblood family. Are you a half-blood Tom", Tom stopped at his walk. 

He stares at Hermione, he was taken off guard with her question. In his first year, a lot of Slytherin bullied him for that but after years pass by he finally manipulated them that he was a pureblood. Then he remembers his father, he really despises that man to the core of his being.

"Tom?", Hermione notice how Tom changes his mood.

"What is the reason you were sorted in Slytherin?", she changes her question. Hermione is not just an average witch so he must be careful about his answer.

"Why do you ask?"

"Just curious, I mean the sorted hat choose a house for us for some reason the hat made me a choice"

It's true that the sorting hat chooses a house for you but if your special enough he would let you choose where you wanted.

"You choose Griffindor?"

"Yes, I did, so how about you Tom, did he let you choose or he choose it?"

Tom paused for a second. Of course, the hat knows his an heir of Salazar. So he would put him in the Slytherin. Even though the hat is notorious for making mistakes in sorting the students. 

"The hat choose it, he knows where houses I should rightfully be", he said.

"They say Slytherin hate muggle-born is that true?"

Tom not so sure to himself what he should answer.

"Yes it is", he said.

Hermione looks at him. Every Slytherin really hates muggle born but Hermione wants to believe that not all Slytherin does.

"How about you Tom do you hate muggle-born", there was silence.

"What do you think Hermione?"

"Well to tell you the truth you really are hard to read, somehow what i see in you is fake. Those smile and being a perfect student somehow is nothing but a mask"

Did she know?

"Your talking nonsense", he said when he felt sweat under the cold temperature. The only person who could feel him like this is Dumbledore and now this girl in front of him.

"You know yourself what I'm talking about Tom", Hermione leans in his ears. Their space is only inches. Hermione's breath on his ears gives him a tingly sensation.

"But I hope someday those perspectives of yours change towards muggles Tom, we are all the same. The only thing that different from us to them is we are born from the bloodline that held us in a chain"

Tom distance himself from her.

"So your saying muggles are the same with us, a wizard born from the ancient bloodline. They are nothing but dirt Hermione that tainted our bloodline", he said with venom.

"Then so are you are tainted", Tom was speechless. Hermione provokes him.

"I don't know what you talking about", he said.

"Riddle is not a pureblood but a muggles name Tom". He was going to turn around and leave Hermione when she holds his hand and transported themselves outside the Hogmeade.

She transports them to England. Miles away from Hogwarts. Tom was beyond shock on what she did. Tom still learning that magic and that kind of transportation magic needs a lot of magic to make it happen.

"Where are we, Hermione?"

He asks looking around them. They were in a park where Ferris wheel, carousel, and other rides. A lot of muggles scattered everywhere. They were all having fun. Tom suddenly felt suffocated as he remember the time when he was in the orphanage but then warm hands held his hands telling him everything will be just fine.

"In the park Tom, England"

Hermione said and grab him towards the Ferris wheel.

Tom knows this kind of park but never been in one. Hermione paid the man and get them inside the ferris wheel. Tom was seated in front of her. Hermione's eyes gaze on the scenery before her.

"Mom used to ride me here but only in disguise", Hermione said with sadness.

"Why did you bring me here?", Tom asked in irritation but deep inside there is an unfamiliar feeling again. 

"Mother put my teleportation magic in restrictions, I can only use them, four-times. This is the first and when we return will be second. I brought you here for some reason Tom", Hermione looks at him in the eyes.

"What's your reason?", he asked.

"Look outside", she said and he did what she told.

"What do you see?", she asks.

"Muggles laughing, smiling at one another", he said and for some reason, he felt envy to the people down there.

"When you were just a child did you smile?"

Tom look the people below them while he tried to analyze her question.

Did he smile when he was just a child?

He did when he hurt those around him.

When he steals something.

But a smile like those below him?

None.

He doesn't know what kind of feelings are that.

"I..", he couldn't answer her.

"Then I will let you smile tonight", Hermione said.

And so that night they ride many kinds of ride. Tom never taste cotton candy and ice cream before. He knows everything but never tried those.

While Hermione holds his hands. A strange yet good feeling starting to bloom inside of him. He didn't notice that he was starting to smile at her.

"Wow look at this bracelet", Hermione stops in front of the stand where different trinkets lay.

"I buy this one sir", point Hermione to a friendship bracelet. The shape is both half hearts with a word written Bestfriend.

"My gift for Tom Riddle and hopefully he would cherish this", Hermione said and put the bracelet in his hands.

Hermione wear another bracelet in her hands and showed it to him.

Hours had passed it was almost night time when they return to Hogwarts. They both said their goodbyes but unknown to them Archon was there when they returned.

He was full of questions.

Where did they go?

Why is she with him?

Do they have connections?

Does Tom fall in love with her?

What about him?