「 one 」

In today's society, a person has a soulmate. It's up to the person to find them, and they can be anywhere in the world. They can be any gender (if you are apart of the community that likes the same sex or both, then you are chosen to be with one or another) or ethnicity. In today's society, no one judge who you are with because they know that you found your soulmate—and that's the important thing.

Everyday, people are out trying to find their soulmate. Sometimes that happens, other times, it just happens casually. They never know when they find their soulmate until they talk to another person. Very rarely your soulmate is someone that you know your whole life.

How does one find their soulmate?

At the age of ten, the person's wrist will start to burn as a rash starts to form, after that, the skin falls off. After the process is over, the person is revealed a number that's inked onto their wrist until they meet their soulmate. The number on their wrist indicate how old they will be when they meet their soulmate.

The year can't be less than thirteen nor older than twenty - five. If it does reach over or below, either the soulmate is dead or the person will have to repeat the process. If the soulmate is dead, half the time the person will never love again and live in sorrow. Or the person will go to the council to ask if they can be with someone else.

That is why a person's tenth birthday is most important because it's the day to find out when they are going to find their lover.

" Daddy, it burns! " ten year old Ashton whine at his father whilst holding onto his wrist. Both of his parents were staring intently at their young son's wrist as one of them is trying to ease the pain.

" I know kiddo, you are almost through the process! You will know how old you'll be when you meet your soulmate! " the adult smile at his son while soothing Ashton's burning wrist.

" Ow! "

Then the pain stops, which made the young boy confused. The other man urge for him to peel the skin off his wrist so it will reveal the number.

Ashton couldn't wait to get rid of the dead skin as he peels it off. Once he did, the young adults gasp, then awed at the same time. On Ashton's wrist shows a bold and elegant calligraphy symbol, that says the number eighteen.

" Our little Ashy is going to find his soulmate at eighteen! " the young adult exclaim happily.

" So I have eight more years? " the young boy ask his fathers with a raise of an eyebrow.

" Yes Ashton, "

He couldn't wait that long! He want to fall in love now! He want to be someone's other half and be happy in love!

" It's going to take forever, " he frowns as the two men stare at each other.

Years passed as he saw the people around him find their soulmates. It would also happen in the hallways at school and people would coo at them. It felt like he was the last person to find his other half in his friend group—which is the case.

High school was when it hits the most when people find their soulmate. People falling in love left and right and it was making him upset.

There were days when he came home in tears because he was the only one left. Eighteen felt like forever away and he couldn't wait to be that age to finally find his soulmate. His father would wipe his tears away and make him feel better by giving him advice, on occasion he would sing songs that Ashton could relate.

Not long before, he found out his father was in the same position before meeting his soulmate. Of course it was all while he was popular because of music. He wrote songs that had meanings and Ashton would listen to it just so he doesn't feel alone.

It took awhile for him to accept that he has to wait to find love. And that his time will come.

He doesn't know how soon it will be before the time comes.

________

I apologize for an extremely short first chapter! It's more like a background, but I'll be longer as the story progresses!

I hope you enjoy this story!!

[8/15/17]