53 | Liam's Situation

Steven looked up at us and smiled. "You still keeping up?"

Samuel chuckled nervously. "Definitely. This is all so deep."

"It gets better," Steven promised. He looked down his booklet and began again, "The truth is when we follow Jesus He will bring conviction not condemnation that will lead us to true repentance and a changed direction.

"My last point is the life. Making Jesus as your new direction leads to fullness of life. He will take you to places you have never been before. It's going to be the most exciting journey of your life. Enjoying every step of the way to where you are going and not worrying of being in a wrong direction.

"John 10:10 says: The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full. The devil stole, killed, and destroyed you before. But Jesus saved you from all of that and He will continue to work miracles in every struggle and problem you face. Don't make the mistake of going back to the world. Trust me, you're not missing anything."

Samuel chuckled and nodded. "I know, right?"

Cameron, Daniel, and I nodded in serious agreement.

Steven looked up at us. "I'm going to ask you each a question"--he looked at me--"Charlie, is your life going in a new direction?"

I nodded. Then I pursed my lips. "But I admit there are still things needed to be changed about me."

"That's normal," he nodded. "God wants to bring you to a process so you'll learn and enjoy His company."

He asked the same questions to the rest and they nodded.

"Are there things in your life that you need to turn away from and turn back to God?" Steven asked.

"Definitely," I said. I thought about sometimes I still accidentally say a bad word when I'm pressured, sometimes I still get tempted to lie, and spend more time doing the worldly things more than the godly things.

"Are there weaknesses, sins, and struggles that you have surrendered but still felt condemned and need prayer to be released?"

We nodded. Steven smiled and asked us of our prayer requests and he led us in a prayer.

I went home at peace that night.

But that peace was interrupted by a cry in the night. I woke up to raised voices in the middle of the night. I looked out my window and realized it was coming from Liam's house. I heard his sister's voice. It was so obvious.

"You're ruining your life!" I heard Liam cry.

"I'm doing this for the both of us!" His sister shot back. A sound indicated that she must have punched the wall in the process.

"There are other ways to help us!" Liam said. "I'm the top in my classes. And I can get a part-time job!"

"I don't want your education being interrupted like that!"

"Sophie, stop taking everything in your hands and let me help! I know you feel responsible since Mom and Dad divorced but--"

"Liam, I know what's best for you because I'm older, alright? Now trust me in my plan. I'm going to get our happy life again. I'm going to do everything to give us the comfortable and happy life we used to have."

And then I heard footsteps bang.

Sophie, Liam's sister, said, "Liam--where are you--"

Liam burst out the front door and stomped across their lawn. "Going to get a smoke or something. I need something to help me get through your insanity!"

"Liam, you get back here right now or--"

Liam sprinted to their Land Rover and drove away before his sister could catch him. I hurried back into my bed and pulled the covers to my chin. Their situation sent chills up my spine. I wondered if I would ever get to get back to sleep. I decided to pray for peace upon myself and Liam's family. And then I prayed for Liam and his family's salvation.

God, please let them know the truth of You.

At Monday morning I felt troubled when I saw Liam also out their porch. He wore a dark blue coat with a logo on it. I guessed it was his private school uniform. He was smoking. I didn't bat an eye and hurried to my pickup.

"Dude, Charlie!" Liam called from behind. When I turned he had his arms relaxed on our fence. He looked at me and grinned.

"Hey, man," I said dryly.

"Off to school?" he asked.

"Yeah."

"Me too."

"I figured that."

He looked like he was about to say something more, but I told him I was in a hurry and quickly slid inside my driver's seat. I knew I shouldn't have acted like that, but I was seriously uncomfortable with a guy like him. I hoped God would get through to him someday, though.

When I drove past my church that morning on my way to school, I got the verse: 

For God does not show favoritism. ~Romans 2:11

I sighed. In other days I couldn't relate with the verses on the sign. But I knew this one was a real conviction from the Holy Spirit. I just knew He was telling me that God doesn't want us to choose who to bring to Him. We should tell everyone of His love.

I repented at that moment and drove to school.

"I feel scared for him," I said when I met with Meredith in her locker a little while later. She was grabbing her pen and notebook.

"I would be too," she said. 

"I feel like I should avoid him. I just... I'm just a little afraid of his situation. Like, I don't know. Seeing things like that just troubles me. I don't like... sad things."

"And I'm sure he doesn't too," Meredith said. "If you don't like it, then it should motivate you to tell him about Jesus. You hate the sad stuff? Do something about it. Be the change you want to see."

I sighed and closed my eyes. "Once again, you make it sound so easy."

"I understand your situation. I suggest you keep praying about it till you see a result."

"I will," I said.

----------

"It's really unhealthy," I said to Trey. "And honestly, it's giving me the creeps to hear banging and screaming in the middle of the night. And I saw him smoking this morning."

"That's gotta be a bother," Trey agreed.

"But he keeps talking to me," I said, sighing. I sat down the bleachers in the diamond and chugged down my bottle of water. "I feel like he wants to be friends."

"That's a good thing!" He slapped my back. "You can tell him about Jesus."

I hesitated.

"What?" he asked.

I shook my head. "It's not that easy, dude. Try being in my shoes. Trust me."

"I believe you," he said, patting my shoulder.

"Team!" Coach Anderson called. "Back to the diamond!"