𝐧𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐦𝐚𝐫𝐞

Bree was having a hard time at concentrating grading exams that she had earlier this week. It didn't help that it was almost last week before the summer holiday started, although some students had decided to start it sooner by not showing up to classes.

She should have been the responsible adult and show how things go in high school but even she had to admit that spending time at school studying biology wasn't the most enjoyable thing at this time of the year.

Despite that, the school had one good thing. She had less time to talk or even see Chris now that she had to spend at least eight hours at work. That meant that she had more time to think about what to answer him when its time comes. For the last two days, she had tried to do anything that kept her busy.

She didn't want to talk with him again and reveal all her biggest fears like she did the last time. Still, she couldn't help but admit that she had a few really fun days with him. It felt really good to spend time with someone else than her son or brother.

Bree was almost done with exams when she heard the footstep running towards her bedroom and realized that her son had woken up from the nap.

The poor boy had fallen asleep almost immediately after coming home from kindergarten. She had put him on the bed even though she feared that he wouldn't be able to sleep at night.

"Mommy, I'm hungly!" he said with a little four years old's pout and put both his hands on his stomach. She decided to grade the rest of the exams later and went to the kitchen to look if there was still food from yesterday.

If not, she would have to cook something fast so Quentin wouldn't have to wait for hours for food.

She would cook something easy and fast with noodles. She told Quentin to go play with toys so he wouldn't just sit there and wait. Soon she was almost done when suddenly she heard her phone ringing.

She kept cooking which was why she didn't look at the number before answering. There was a woman's voice who asked if she was Bree Collins and after she confirmed it, she told her that her brother was at the hospital because he was shot.

At first, Bree's mind was numb and even though she heard her clearly when she repeated the information for the third time but she didn't understand them. Her mind kept repeating the words Brett, hospital, death over and over again until something snapped inside her and the tears started to fall down her cheeks.

Se was near losing another person she loved and just like with Xavier, there was nothing she could do to stop it from happening. Once again, she felt so fucking helpless as she started to understand what had happened.

Brett was in the hospital.

Brett who was the first one to help her with her pregnancy when their parents only cared about their reputation. Brett who took her in his home years ago when he could have easily thrown her somewhere else with her pregnancy hormones and baby stuff.

Brett who called every day to make sure that she and Quentin were alright. Brett who might become the second man to leave them.

"Quentin, sweetie, we need to go to the hospital!"

🌺🌺🌺

Almost an hour later she was still sitting in the hospital chair, waiting for the doctor to come to tell that the surgery went just fine and that he would wake up soon.

She needed someone to tell her that she was just overreacting and that everything was alright. She needed to know that she wouldn't lose him the way she lost her fiancé.