𝐫𝐮𝐧𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐚𝐰𝐚𝐲

Bree did it again. She ran away and avoided everything when things got hard. Complicated. Awkward. Wrong. And what happened with Chris wasn't an exception to that, no matter how much he seemed to wish otherwise.

Honestly, there was no way that they would ever be the same again. She wasn't sure about him but for her, it was a friendship. Her first real friendship in a long time where she could speak without fearing judgment.

She didn't care about their past. Chris was simply a really good friend to both her and Quentin. That was why she was afraid that what happened between them would end up hurting her son too and that was the last thing she wanted to happen.

All she wanted was to make him happy which was one of the reasons why she was scared to move on and be with someone else.

The other reason was that Bree didn't want to be with anyone else but Xavier. Ever. Chris must have known that after everything that they have talked about. They had started on the clean table, getting comfortable enough with each other to have serious conversations about feelings and their past.

She thought that he understood that she wasn't ready to move on even after many had told her to do that, even Brett who she trusted the most. But what would they know?

That didn't stop him from kissing her like that as if it was something that they did many times in a day. She knew that her rejection must have hurt him, although he didn't show it. She had no other choice. It's not like she could force herself to stop loving Xavier. If she could, she might have done it already just to get the pain away.

She had panicked and immediately ran away from him even after she heard him calling her name and yelling apologies, taking Quentin with her.

Once again her phone rang and for a moment she thought about ignoring it the way she had done for the last twenty times. She knew that there were other ways to deal with the situation that wouldn't be so immature but at the moment ignoring Chris' calls seemed like the wisest decision.

Now she got tired of all the pressure he gave her with or without meaning to which was the reason why she chose to answer his call this time.

"Hello?"

"Bree! Thank god you answered! Honey, don't do that ever again, I mean it. I almost got a heart attack by not knowing where you two are," Chris sounded out of breath as if he was running a marathon. Did he really spend all that time trying to search for her and Quentin?

Now she felt really bad but she tried to convince herself that it was his own fault when he had kissed her. "Listen, I want to be alone for a moment because I can't be with you right now if you understand. Is it possible that we could maybe go to a hotel or something?"

There was a silence for a while before he talked again in a voice that she couldn't fully understand. Was he angry with her? Didn't he agree with what she asked? Her mind was full of questions about the man on the other line and knew that whatever he was thinking wasn't good.

"Hotel? Do you want to go to...hotel? Because of what I did?" she chose not to answer anything because somehow she knew that he wasn't waiting for her response as if he was thinking out loud. "Bree, listen. Don't do that. I - I'm sorry that I kissed you but that doesn't mean you have to go to a hotel for fuck's sake. You're being ridiculous!"

Now she couldn't be silent anymore while he kept talking about her and what he did in a way that he was doing as if nothing big happened. Clearly, he didn't understand that the kiss wasn't just a kiss. Her first kiss after Xavier was something she had treasured and he had taken it from her so carelessly. And he had a nerve call her ridiculous!