𝐟𝐢𝐫𝐬𝐭 𝐢𝐬𝐧'𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐥𝐚𝐬𝐭

It was one of the hottest days of the summer and Bree wanted to spend it at the beach with people she cared the most.

Despite all the complaining she got from both Brett and Quentin, who wanted to watch even more movies inside, she was currently in the water with them. They were laughing and having fun with some of their friends.

Brett was finally brave enough to ask Savannah out which wasn't exactly a date since there were lots of other people with them too. The poor woman didn't know anyone else besides Collins siblings and Quentin. Fortunately, it didn't take much time for her to get to know others.

Bree was glad that there were three women with her who to have conversations with about things that she couldn't really talk with men. She had gotten much closer to that unique, strange group of friends and they even managed to surprise her with a little party on her birthday a few weeks ago.

Today, Patrick had asked to join them to the beach after he saw them at Brett's home and soon rest of his friends were following their car towards the beach that was already full of people.

"So, let me get this straight. I know those three but the rest of you are strangers to me. Your name is Patrick, those are Joey and Kenneth, the blonde one is Victoria and she's Sofia. Am I right or did I mess up already with the names?"

"Everything's right, princes," winked Patrick which didn't go unnoticed by Brett who was close to her without touching. He was such a gentleman and didn't want to make her uncomfortable by touching her. Bree was sure that Savannah liked him too but was just too shy to say anything like Brett was.

"Back off, Rick," Brett said with an irritated voice as if he was trying to hold back the anger. She almost laughed when she noticed the jealous look on her brother's face. That only made everyone laugh, even Savannah who was now red as a tomato.

"Don't care about that asshole, you're not his only princess," Sofia confirmed what everyone else already knew. Savannah nodded but didn't say anything due to embarrassment and hid her face in Brett's chest.

Surprised, he put his arms around her quite awkwardly as if he was afraid that he wasn't doing it right or that she didn't like it.

Brett might be a strong police officer who was the reason why many criminals were behind the bars but in reality, he was just normal, shy, a little awkward man who only wanted some love in return.

Bree was aware of how long it's been since he had been in a relationship that had actually lasted more than a month and hoped that Savannah would change that.

She couldn't remember when was the last time when she had been this happy without feeling like crying over Xavier but like people said, time was the keyword in the grieving progress.

Sure, there were still days when she wanted nothing but get her fiancé back but as she watched people around her, she knew that she deserved to be happy.

Maybe someday she would be ready to move on and be with someone else. Someone who could make her laugh and smile even on the worst days. Someone she could also fight only to realize that the main thing wasn't to agree with each other on everything but to accept that and move on from the fight back to each other's arms.

A certain name came on her mind and she had a sick feeling in her chest when she thought about a man who had given up on her so easily two months ago.

"What are you thinking about?" a man with dirty blonde hair asked. She was quite shocked that he had noticed how quiet she had become and walked next to her with a kind smile.

"Just things," she answered to Kenneth, biting her lower lip that she always did when she was nervous. The last thing she wanted to do was throw all her worries and thoughts to him although she knew that he wasn't a man to judge easily.

After she stopped talking Kenneth raised eyebrows with amusement in his brown eyes, silently asking her to enlighten. She glanced at Quentin who was currently on the water with Brett and Savannah.

He sighed when Bree stayed quiet and she wondered how much he really had learned about her during these months. Did he already know her well enough to guess what she as thinking about? Sure, she now considered him as her friend just like Joey, Vicky, Sofia, and Patrick but four months was very little time to get to know a person.

"Listen, Bree. I know that you miss Xavier and wish nothing but best to your son who, by the way, is a lovely kid. You have done good job at raising him. Have you heard the quote 'the first love isn't always the last'? I think you of all people should learn about that," Kenneth explained.

Bree knew that they both were thinking the same thing, same person but he hadn't mentioned his name yet, probably for her sake. She was about to explain what she thought about but was cut off by Patrick and Joey. They came running towards them, both soaking wet, and started to yell something about how they should have fun instead of sitting there like boring people.

"Dammit guys, we're trying to have an important conversation here! Go bother others! Fuck!" Kenneth yelled back, cursing at his boyfriend and best friend.

Despite the serious subject, they were talking about, she laughed and joined the yelling, suddenly feeling happy again. For the first time in her life, she finally learned the true meaning of friendship and how much better her life had turned out to be with these people in her life.

"Leave my baby alone!" she joked back, still laughing, and even stood up, ready to go to the water with others. Turning around to look Kenneth who was still sitting down on the sand she gave him a hand, asking him to come too.

"I'm okay, Kenny. Really, don't make yourself miserable because of me. If it makes you feel any better, I know what you were going to say," she gave him a sad smile.

"And you agree with me?" Kenneth asked, raising his eyebrows as if to dare her to say no. Instead of answering his question, she smiled and started to walk towards the water where everyone else was laughing and enjoying the summer in the best way.

Suddenly, she felt like running which she did, leaving the blonde man behind her. Not even two minutes later she was swimming towards her son who had everyone's attention by swimming on his own that he had only recently learned to do with the help of Bree and Brett.

"Mommy! Look at me! I can swim!" yelled Quentin who now swam towards his mother. As he did that with his four years old speed, Brett and their friends were clapping, couraging him to continue what he was doing and telling him that he was going to be a professional swimmer when he's older.

So many people were extremely caring towards Quentin that Bree almost cried. Never had she had friends who didn't only like her presence but also took time to be with her child and actually got to know him. For them, Quentin wasn't just something that had to come with Bree, he was his own person who had a talent of making everyone fall in love with him.

They spent the rest of the day on the beach like that, laughing and enjoying each other's company with Quentin to entertain them. Surprisingly, he hadn't shown any signs of tiredness despite the fact that they had been here for many hours already.

Bree loved days like this where she didn't have to worry or cry over anyone Instead she enjoyed life like she was supposed to, around people who she had become close with even in a short amount of time. If every day would be like this, she wouldn't have a single worry in the world.