𝐬𝐮𝐫𝐩𝐫𝐢𝐬𝐞 𝐝𝐚𝐭𝐞

Chris was running late and it was all because of his roommate who had suddenly become very curious about the evening that he had planned very much minute by minute.

What really annoyed him was the fact that Patrick seemed to be quite annoyed with him, maybe even angry as if it was his birthday that he had forgotten instead of Bree's. Nothing made any sense. Last time he had seen them together, they were hardly even friends.

"What's your problem? I know it was my mistake to forget her birthday and all but as you can see, I'm trying to fix it. It's not the end of the world," he frowned, ready to leave.

Whenever they were in the same room, which was a lot since they lived together, Patrick would be frowning at him as if trying to figure out what was wrong with him.

"Of course you don't understand." Patrick rolled his eyes, seeming really angry even with Chris' presence for some reason. "You think that all you have to do is apologize and everything's all right then? Fuck that, man. What you did was horrible and that hurt her. She might not show it but what you did hurt her."

"I know I did a mistake but you're overreacting. How do you even know all that? You are suddenly close to her?" he couldn't help but get a bad feeling when he thought about Bree being with someone else, let alone his own friend. Were they together? Boyfriend and girlfriend?

"Yes! I mean, no, not like that. She's more like a sister to me. I want to protect her from bad things because she deserves to be happy," Patrick said.

What the fuck? A sister? He was in Colorado less than two months and suddenly she had turned all his friends against him which felt bad. Really, really bad.

"You think I'm not good for her?"

"No, if you aren't patient and respectful with her."

"Respectful my ass, says a man who would rather sleep with twenty women every week than be in a relationship with one," Chris yelled before Patrick left.

He tried to focus on what he had planned for the evening but his friend's words kept troubling him all the way to Bree's home which made him even more nervous.

He sighed, finally realizing that he made a mistake in Colorado by telling her that he wouldn't wait for her. Of course he would. She was worth the waiting and he would give her all the time in the world because in the end, he would be the one making her laugh.

Only if I had realized that sooner, he thought sadly while driving his new car that he got just a few days ago. While staying in Colorado, Chris gave his old car to his sisters as an early birthday gift. Now, they wouldn't always have to ask a drive from their parents or use trains and buses.

With shaking hands, he rang the doorbell. He waited for what seemed like forever but in reality it was only a minute or two. He was becoming impatient and it didn't take long for him to start to rethink whether this was the right thing to do.

Was she even home? Would it be better if he now left before she actually opened the door? Fuck it, he couldn't be there. No way, he wasn't brave enough to face a woman who made his heart beat faster and faster by each second and whose heart he had hurt without meaning to.

Suddenly a door opened, revealing a woman with long, curly red hair, beautiful green eyes and cute little freckles around her nose.

She's an angel, he thought with amazement as he stared down at her. He hadn't even realized how much he had missed her until she was in front of him. At the moment, at that very second, he didn't care what had happened between them.

She was there, so close that he could easily touch her but he didn't, knowing that she wouldn't be okay with that yet. Fifty-six days after not seeing her face or hearing her voice, he felt like vomiting because now he knew that it was all because of him. He was the reason why their communication had stopped.