Chapter Nine

I wrote a really amazing chapter and it was like 3000 words then wattpad decided to kill itself and delete it all so of course i screamed and then cried but ill try the rewrite it again to the best of my abilities...

Dedication to Kate or better known as ScallyWagsRule for helping me with literally EVERYTHING!

Rein in the Highlands

A/N Flashback - Before the move

Screaming woke me up from my nightmare soaked in sweat i ran across the hall to my fathers room, opening the door i saw what i saw everynight for the past 2 weeks, dad standing on the edge of the balcony leaning over as if waiting for the wind to pick him up and drag him away from his miserable life, "dad?" i whispered quietly trying not to frighten him, slowly tiptoeing up until i was directly beside him i gently placed my hands on his wrists as his grip on the railings tightened and his muscles clenched a rubbed soothing patterns on his wrists to loosen his grip when he finally released his hold on the rail i dragged him back inside and sat him on his bed, like always he dropped his head and began to sob, i wrapped my arms around him and held him like my mother ahd held me when i was a little girl, rocking back and forth he began to wake up and raised his head to look at me, his eyes distant ans unaware, hope lit up his eyes "Caroline" he whispered and in that moment my whole world frozen and moved in slow motion, dad clung to me desperately "i thought... iiiid lost you" he sobbed, slowly diamond shaped tears slid down my cheeks. 

I sat there with him until he fell asleep, only then did i really allow myself to cry, the pain and hurt growing like a tsunami ready to devour me into its depths and it felt like drowning. I sat there until the orange light of a new day began to show across the horizon.

End of Flashback...

My mind clouded up with panic. I stared past Rowan’s face at the wall opposite me. Three weeks, three weeks three weeks, the words kept echoing in my head. Where the fuck was I? Where was Dad, Trent, the house, even crazy old Sophia? Why was everyone talking like they were from some old movie? But even though I didn’t want to believe it, there was a feeling deep down in my gut that told me I wasn’t in the time or place I was in supposedly three weeks ago… 

staring at Rowan i tried to make sense of what i knew was the truth, "h..h..how?" i croaked

Rowan surprised that i had spoken quickly coughed and began to reclaim his voice, his words were strong but his eyes betrayed him, "they always did" a ghost like voice whispered in the back of my head. how odd i thought.

"i donna know lass, but all i do know is ye will not be going anywhere until ye are completely healed! the woods is no place for a young lass like yourself, especially one as beautiful as ye." he replied with a comanding voice.

a couple of moments passed and my eyes began to wander around the room studying everything in close detail like the furs how some of the hairs curled and how some were as straight as sewing needles, but these were all a distraction from the thing i really wanted to stare at... Rowan. The strong but gentle giant, who could kill you or be kind to you at the drop of a hat.

His deep rumble of a voice brought me out of my thoughts and a deep crimson settled on my cheeks, "how about i show ye around the MacPherson keep, then we can find ye something to eat" he suggested.

nodding as a response, i began to walk towards the door when he stopped my "ugh lass don't take offence but i can't have you walking around my keep like that or i'll have to beat the lads away from ye" i blushed an even deeper shade of crimson as i realised i was only covered in a short dress that didn't really cover anything, looking up at him he seemed more than a little annoyed about the fact that others almost saw me dressed in such a revealing outfit, noticing i had nothing to put on he strode over to a chest and opened it to find many different styles of dresses, picking out a beautiful blue dress that had simple embroidering around the neckline, i slipped it on a it fit perfectly, thankful to Rowan all the dresses didn't require any lacing or corsets at the back i slid it over my head and adjusted the front belt and was ready, Rowan, who had turned around while i changed, looked at me with surprise and another foreign look in his eyes, that looked all too much like lust, quickly grabbed a fur and wrapped it around my shoulders. Walking out the door Rowan gently grabbed my hand and adjusted it so it just rested on top of his forearm.

Rowan showed me around the MacPherson keep. And from what I understood, a keep was like a huge castle. I tried to keep track of all the twists and turns down long, faintly lit corridors but eventually I lost all sense of direction. Finely detailed portraits of what I supposed were generations of family members, hung on the stone walls, glaring at us with their dull painted eyes. They knew I wasn’t supposed to be here, their creepy eyes following me down the hallway.

I can’t help it, you know, I said to them in my mind, but I have to put up with it until I figure out how to get back. I glanced sideways at Rowan, taking the opportunity to give him a good, long analysis. He was very tall, muscular and imposing. He had jet black hair that came down to his shoulder blades and was tied in thick, loose braids. His facial features were sharp and heavily scarred his mouth was set into a hard line even as he talked. The only thing that didn’t scare the bajeepers out of me was his eyes. They were so dark brown they were almost black but they twinkled and shone in the candle light. He turned his head to look at me and I withdrew my eyes quickly, but I couldn’t help the little flutter my heart gave as I felt those eyes upon me.

As we turned a corner, a maid, who had been dusting the frames of the paintings on the wall, heard us coming and scuttled into a corner of the corridor, her back to us and head lowered meekly. Rowan ignored her as we passed but she turned to me slightly and gave me a scathing glare. I hurried after Rowan, startled by the maid’s hostile glance. I turned to look at her as we rounded the corner of the corridor; she was gazing at Rowan’s retreating back with a strange expression creased on her face. She saw me looking at her and gave me another penetrating glance before stalking off in the other direction, leaving me wondering what I’d done to deserve her hate.

As I walked in silence, slightly behind Rowan, as he rambled on about the history of the keep etc. I thought about the murderous look the maid had given me and the way she looked at Rowan. I realised that she was madly in love with him! I could sympathise with her, he was kind of handsome and brave and strong… I thought dreamily. I shook my head, trying to clear those thoughts from my mind. I didn’t belong here! I couldn’t go around suddenly crushing on guys who claimed to have rescued me from a slow and icy death. Besides, what did I have to match her? She was beautiful, I was not! She had luscious dark hair that I could only dream about, worn in a flattering up do. Her skin was pale but not in the way that made her look sickly. Her eyes were an icy blue and her lips a blood red. She had perfect arched eyebrows and high, defined cheek bones. Her figure was absolutely stunning; curves in all the right places and her breasts were settled in her bodice like two perfect ivory white doves. How could I compete with that? Not that I wanted to, but still. She and Rowan would be perfect together! I brushed some stray curls of my own messy hair behind my ears, self-consciously. 

My head kept telling me i didn't belong her and that the first chance i get i should find a way back, but my heart felt something completely different that shocked me to the core, for the first time in weeks i felt at home, like i belonged.

And i had a feeling that if i left today i would be leaving my heart  behind...................

With Rowan.

A/N: sooo what do you think? let me know!

thanks to the fantastic Kate and all my Fans thank you all for reading following and voting.

remember kids stay in school and keep on writing 

Vote, Comment, Follow

Thanks Again.... 

Love Gracexxxx