Chapter Eighteen

Time is not measured by the hands of a clock: Part two

“It has been said, 'time heals all wounds.' I do not agree. The wounds remain. In time, the mind, protecting its sanity, covers them with scar tissue and the pain lessens. But it is never gone.”

- Rose Kennedy

Ailsa’s Pov

Slipping away from the vicious men that smothered me was surprisingly easy the drunken fools to drunk to notice their main source of entertainment was gone, they had beaten me, cut me to the point where I just shut down and let it happen.

I snuck over to the tent guarded by a heavy guard, luckily a heavily drunk guard.

Sliding past the swaying drunk was easy he hadn’t even noticed I was there when I walked right by him.

Adjusting my eyes to dark tent I focused on the slouched shadow of a man, the man I loved too much, a man that could never love me back, Rowan.

Walking behind him to the pole I reached into the pocket of my torn dress and pulled out my blade, its gleam hidden in the darkness, I bent down and began to slice the ropes that were binding Rowan’s hands, at the sudden movement of his arms being freed Rowan lurched forward waking immediately and shooting to his feet, in a warriors stance.

“Rowan” I whispered trying to quiet his noise, he turned at glared at me staring deep into my eyes, the betrayal was evident on his face and it broke my heart.

“Rowan you have to leave now! Before they come to check on you!” I whispered.

“How can I trust you after all you have done, what if this is just a trap!” He growled

“I did what I did out of jealousy and a stupid belief that you could love me” I spoke as quietly as possible the words bringing me shame and heartbreak.

“Oh Ailsa, I did love you but not the way you wanted me to, and I am sorry to say I never will be able to love you the way you want” sadness echoing in his words, he was sincere the words cut like sharp knives to my heart

“I know” I whispered as the first tear fell.

I pointed to the door the faced the forest “Go! Now!” handing Rowan his knife and pointing to the massive sword leaning against the tent just out of reach.

He ran to it and then to the doors running to the tree line before whispering “thank you” then he was gone and the hollow ache in my chest began to grow.

I stood there staring after him until they came and took me away, the look on Kailey’s face pure hatred and anger as she hit me again and again until I could no longer hold myself up, she dragged me out of the tent by my hair but I no longer felt anything, I welcomed death and its peaceful silence I never felt the bite of the sword that struck my heart I only felt the warmth of my blood that soaked into the earth. I closed my eyes for the last time and welcomed my death.

A/N: so Ailsa’s dead, she was a particularly evil character in the previous chapters but as you have seen she has been tortured emotionally and physically so she became so damaged that she welcomed her death but only after she saved the man she loved.

What about Rowan? Good or Bad?

Read

Vote

Comment

Spread the love

xXGraceXx