Chapter Seventeen

Time is not measured by the hands of a clock: Part one

“There comes a time when the world gets quiet and the only thing left is your own heart. So you'd better learn the sound of it. Otherwise you'll never understand what it's saying.”

- Sarah Dessen, Just Listen

Rowan’s Pov

The ropes burned my wrists as I struggled against the thick material, blisters and tender flesh now worn down and bloody stung as the thick rope grazed against the open wound, blood ran down my forehead from the heavy blunt object that had hit me.

I vaguely remembered the voices from before I was unconscious but I knew something was very wrong, the air I breathed tasted sour like deceit and my heart beat in agony instead of joy, something was very wrong.

Looking up and forcing my tired eyes to co-operate I focused on the bodies around me there were sleeping giants dressed as men with bulging muscles and scarred faces from vicious battles, they were coated in blood their clothes torn and muddy.

Without a second glance I recognized the men, they were Killan’s mercenary’s or what he liked to call ‘berzerkers’ half man, half beast and totally lethal the men that had torn apart my family limb from limb as Killan sat watching grinning and laughing in amusement.

Stretching my hands closer to my spine I reached for my small blade hidden behind my belt, a feeling of dread washed over me as I realised it was gone the blade missing and my only hope gone.

Wincing at the sunlight I squinted at the figures entering the tent, my heart dropping to my stomach, the first person I saw was the murderous bastard Killan with a smug look on his ugly mug, then I saw someone who had haunted my nightmares since the day I saw her blood coat the keeps walls red, Kailey, but this wasn’t the woman I had married this was a cold hard version a woman with no feeling a woman that had only known hate, the last person was someone I hadn’t expected to see Ailsa, the sweet turned savage girl I had saved from a life of prostitution or worse death, the girl I had saved after her parents had abandoned her, the girl who had tried to kill Rein.

“Ah Rowan, how are you my dear husband?” Kailey asked with a sound of disgust at the word husband.

I stared at her as if she would disappear and I would wake up from this dream.

“hmmm not eager to talk are we?” she sighed “hm Ailsa what was that young whore’s name, the one he so obviously is in love with?” Kailey asked the girl with a sly grin

“R…r…Rein?” Ailsa stuttered.

“R…R…Rein” Kailey repeated in a mocking tone “learn how to speak lass or I will cut out your useless tongue!” exasperated Kailey began to pace the room a thing I remember her doing when she was annoyed.

“Rowan, Rowan, Rowan you should have just died along with your bastard family this would have made this a lot easier, I could have already had MacLain keep, the easy way!!!, you see with you dead I could claim the keep as my marriage right and no one else would have had to die, but no you had to go away and miss the festivities” said Kailey glaring at me the whole time

“Why are you doing this Kailey? I thought we were happy?” I spoke the words that had been eating away at my soul.

“happy?... HAPPY? I was married to a man that preferred the company of others, I was married to a man that loved war more that his own wife, and especially I was married to a man that is the son of the man that massacred my entire family and keep for sport, and do you know the funniest part was that I could have killed you, the night of our wedding I could have slit your throat as you slept, but I didn’t because you don’t deserve the mercy a quick death would bring, you will watch all those you love bleed and die.” She cackled madly

 Turning to leave she called over her shoulder pinning me with a chilling smirk “Oh and Rowan, I will save little Rein for last so you can watch the life drain out of her innocent eyes.”

I slumped down shaking my head furiously as the painted images of Rein eyes glassy and lifeless and body coated in her blood flooded my thoughts.

“I will save you Rein, even if it kills me.” I whispered to the silence

A/N: Soo another chapter down one more to go and it is going to be a shocker, after the next chapter my friend Rose ( also on wattpad ) will be editting and proof reading my chapters for me so i can spend more time writing and not having to worry about spell checking everything :P thanks to all my readers your all amazing:)

Read

Vote

Comment

Follow

Hugs

Kisses

Who i see being Ailsa - Sarah Hyland

xXGraceXx