Chapter Twenty

A/N: Heys friends sorry i've been gone for yonks or more accurately A MILLION YEARS.... My Friend Roza is currently editting Rein in the Highlands - reason for the pause in updates - yeah so i kinda felt bad (ok no kidding i felt REALLY bad for not updating and leaving you guys hanging...

Sooooo HERE IS A BRAND NEW CHAPTER!! :) WARNING: the book will be underconstruction soon (date unconfirmed) 

~

Chapter Fifteen

“Since the dawn of existence, you mortals have feared dying, feared the unknown and the pain of it, and yet, pain is a part of life, not death. And I—I am the first moment after pain ceases,” he [Death] pronounced. “It is life that fights and struggles and rages; life, that tears at you in its last agonizing throes to hold on, even if but for one futile instant longer... Whereas I, I come softly when it is all done. Pain and death are an ordered sequence, not a parallel pair. So easy to confuse the correlations, not realizing that one does not bring the other.”

― Vera Nazarian, Cobweb Bride

Rowan’s Pov

Running through the forest the trees scratched my already bruised body, blood dripped down my jaw line from the gash on my forehead.

My head hurt but it was my heart that was my biggest ache, I felt myself being shoved as I fell to the ground clawing at the ground in front of me, turning I stared into the eyes of a familiar face.

“Well about time Wiliam”

Hours Earlier

Rein’s Pov

Recap

I stood there standing for what seemed like an hour, it was only when I heard the thundering of hooves that I straightened up and stopped slouching.

Making out the steed I internally groaned well this is going to be awkward!!!

“William? Ugh hey” I sighed

It had to be discussed sooner or later right.

“Aaaaaaaye Rein” he slurred.

My gaze snapped to the swaying man, after about a second I realised this dude was ‘as drunk as a skunk’

The drunken fool started swaying forward with a giddy expression on his face as he mumbled something about maids and dragons.

“William!” I sighed loudly trying really hard not to laugh at the sight of the poor drunk man, which is really hard to do when he you notice he is wearing a woman’s apron.

“Where on earth have you been???” I questioned, a thought crossing my mind Where is Rowan? Didn’t William follow him after I left?

“And where is Rowan?” I added quickly

Suddenly a very alert William sprang to attention “he’s not back yet?”

“No!” I replied, now really worried. Before all the drama happened, Mairin had made sure to warn me of the impending attack on Rowan and those that would try and kill Rowan.