Chapter 2: The Abrupt Visitor

"Love is being stupid together." 

Chapter 2: The Abrupt Visitor

Casper's POV

Work's getting too stressful at the moment, if only I had someone to help. I hate to admit it, but I'm way out of my league here. I've been running this company for ten years, since my twenty second birthday and it has only grown, only adding to my stress. I just hired a personal secretary, I'm to meet her on Monday and I hope she'll help relieve some stress, taking some of my duties so I can go out more often.

My brother, Andy, has been bugging me for two years now to find a wife, settle down, have a family. I've just never had the time, but he has. He has a stunning wife, who helps him run his own company, with two children, one boy, one girl who he loves more than anything. After my parents died I've been to scared to branch out and attempt any relationship.

So I act horrible, treat people like shit, stone cold. It helps run the company, but in no way does it help me. I sigh deeply and swallow the brandy, letting the cool liquid settle my thoughts and warm my stomach. I throw the glass onto my desk and head to my private elevator, leaning on the side with my head swimming. It stops after descending forty floors and I stalk out, I slide into my car and speed off towards my empty penthouse.

I need to find people to fill it before I lose my mind. I tear off my blue Armani suit and slide into my bed, hoping I can find some relief with the emptiness of sleep. Monday morning comes quickly, the excitement getting me to move quicker than usual. I slide on a grey Armani suit with brown loafers before hurrying into the bathroom. I brush my teeth and style my hair before heading back to the office.

Moments after I sit down in my chair a soft knock sounds at my door. I brush off my suit, comb my fingers through my hair and lean back in my chair. "Come in." I call, the door opens and a beautiful woman steps in. Her brown hair curly and reaching her mid-back, her bright green eyes searching my face, the grey body con dress hugging her perfect curves, her dainty nose.

She smiles slightly and my heart tugs. "Are you alright sir?" She asks, her soft voice sweeping over me in perfect waves. I swear her simple presence has me gone.

"I'm fine, what's your name?" My voice sounds dreadfully nice, almost as if I can't be cold to her.

"Evangeline, but everyone calls me Eva." She replies cheerfully and by the look in her eyes she is not faking, someone different. Someone who doesn't cower in my presence.

"Okay Eva, my name's Casper. But everyone calls Cas, you may as well." She nods and focuses on me.

"What is it you need me to do?"

"I need you to fix the filing system, my last secretary decided they were going to mess it up, how good are you at short hand?"

"I'm good enough, is there anything else?" She seems very attentive, like she's had experience in this department before.

"Not until later Eva." I say lowly, she blushes slightly before composing herself.

"I'll get going then, ring for me if you need anything." She dismisses herself and gets to work on the files. After three hours of signing papers, I hear a loud laugh from outside. One that makes me feel giddy.

"No of course not." Eva continues to laugh down the phone and I feel a spark of jealousy, what if that's a boyfriend on the other side of that goddamn phone? "You wouldn't dare!" She gasps playfully and dances about her office as she fixes the files. "I swear I will never speak to you again." I lean on the door jamb and watch as her small frame works away, oblivious to my presence. "Yeah, yeah, I'll be home around seven tonight so be careful and don't you dare make a mess of my kitchen!" She rolls her eyes and hangs up the phone with a small chuckle.

"Hey Eva I'm about to order in lunch, is there anything you want?"

"No thank you, not now anyway. Is there anything else you need?" Her eyes stare up at me, captivating me within her gaze.

"No, everything's fine." I snap out of my trance and walk back to my office to order lunch. I eat quickly and find myself missing Eva's peaceful presence, thank God there's a meeting soon. In which she'll be sat next to me the whole time. I press the call button and seconds later my gorgeous secretary appears. "The meeting's about to start." She nods and walks out, she grabs a notebook and a pen as we head to the meeting room.

I'm kind of surprised that she went for a notebook instead of a laptop, but I guess that's just what she likes to do. I take a seat at the head of the table, the others immediately straighten their backs and clear their faces as I walk in. Eva sits to my left and studies those around her, she seems to be a people reader. Someone who uses her eyes to learn everything about them. I'll have to ask her later what she thought of my team.

She makes notes the whole way through and whenever I glance I can see all the details. She's not 'good enough' she's amazing. The meeting abruptly finishes two hours later and they file out after me. Eva returns to her desk and checks her phone. She chuckles softly before starting to type up her notes. I probably look crazy, standing in the corridor like a creeper staring at my secretary.

I shake myself from my reverie and head to my office. I throw myself in my chair and rub my face with my hands. What am I going to do with her? I've known her for a few hours and I can feel myself growing closer to her. Finally. I dial my brother's number and he greets me with enthusiasm. "Where are you?" I probe gently.

"Near your office, I was hoping to see my little bro. Is that cool?"

"Yeah, I have something I want to talk to you about anyway."

"Oohh juicy." A few minutes later Andy storms in with a rather disgruntled Eva, she looks adorable. "Please tell your secretary I'm supposed to be here." He says nonchalantly making Eva roll her eyes discreetly.

"He's supposed to be here, he's my older brother Andy. If he pops up from time to time just let him in."

"Fine, but I swear I can't deal with the door slamming." She points directly at Andy making him chuckle softly, us brothers are not used to being spoken to in such a way. Which makes us like her even more, I can tell my brother finds her as fascinating as I do. She flounces out and Andy turns to me with wide eyes.