•~one~•

Art by Trash Cass ^^

~Jeremy's POV~

       "You sure you want to do this?" Michael questioned reluctantly, twirling one of his hoodie strings around his finger.

       I stood in front of a signup sheet in my school accompanied by Michael and Christine. The sheet read "Lenniland Bonding!" at the top in big bold letters. The event was so that students could get to know others after school got out through a trip to Lenniland Amusement Park. Every student who signed would be placed into a group with a few others and they would stick together throughout the trip. I'd already convinced Christine to write her name, but Michael was more hesitant.

       "I'm positive. Besides, we could all do with a few friends," I persuaded, smiling wide. He huffed and took the pen off of the wall. Scrawling his name across the top, he let out a fake-exasperated sigh.

       "I'm only doing this for you," he muttered, a slight smile tugging at his lips. Meanwhile, Christine read the fine print at the bottom of the page.

       "It's a five day fundraiser with all costs covered," she recited, her eyes flitting over the lines. "We can do whatever we want as long as we are with our group. There are also request slips for if you want certain people in your group." Michael's eyes lit up as Christine spoke.

       "All costs covered.." he repeated, "that means I can get as many slushies as I want!" He pumped his fist in the air enthusiastically, making Christine and I burst into a fit of giggles. I grinned at my two favorite people. This was going to be a fun few days.

*•time skip brought to you by Rich's lisp•*

The bus bounced up and down violently, causing Michael to crush me against Christine. Today was the first day of the Lenniland trip, and it wasn't off to a great start. The school board decided it would be a good idea to cram everyone onto a puny bus and drive the 2 1/2 hour ride without any stops. It wouldn't be too bad if there hadn't been 125 kids who signed up. The din was loud enough to be that of a small concert, there was ABC gum all over the seats, and there were only 20 actual seats on the bus.

"Sorry guys!" Michael squeaked, shoving a heavy student who rammed into him out to the aisle. I glanced at Christine and blushed, our noses only inches apart. We'd only been dating for about three months, so we were still getting used to physical and intimate contact.

"I thought the crazy rides weren't until we got to the park," Christine muttered, managing to unstick her sweaty face from the window.

After a few more wild bumps, roller coaster tracks were spotted in the sky. The bus pulled into a reserved parking spot and everyone spilled out onto the pavement. Poor Mr. Reyes was put in charge of herding everyone together.

"Everyone sit! Sit! I see you sneaking off over there!" He screeched, waving his arms frantically in the air. Christine chuckled, taking a seat on the blacktop. I plopped down next to her and intertwined our fingers. Michael sat on the opposite side of me and adjusted his hoodie, gazing intently at the gates.

Once the rowdy crew finally settled down, Mr. Reyes began listing off the groups.

"Group One: Alex H, John L, Aaron B, Eliza S, Maria R, James M, Thomas J, and Samuel S," he called out, his eyes flicking to each student in the crowd. The eight kids got up and retrieved their tickets. They entered the gates and took off to get on a ride.

"Group Two: Will C, George S, Stephanie H, Katie L, Lauren L, Paige H.." One by one, students left in their groups to explore the park.

Finally, Mr. Reyes called our names.

"Group 16: Jenna R, Jake D, Rich G, Khloe V, Brooke L, Jeremy H, Michael M, and Christine C," he announced, letting out a sigh and trudging back onto the bus. The three of us stood up and joined the remaining kids, who were obviously sitting in a group.

"Look who got forced with the popular kids," Michael muttered in my ear. I let out a snort, causing Christine to glance towards us. Michael laughed quietly and looked away.

We approached the group, Christine squeezing my hand. I recognized all of them from when I had the Squip. They apparently did too, as a conversation bubbled up instantly when we arrived. We entered the park and each person looked in a different direction on which ride to go on first. After a brief hustle of herding everyone back together, we decided to survey the options calmly and figure it out as a group.

"Why not that one? The line is short, and it's right next to us," Brooke pointed to a roller coaster called the Sky Rocket across from where we stood. All of us agreed and we joined the short line. Christine jogged up to Jenna and started talking to her, leaving me with Michael.

       I stared at the loops and swerves, a knot forming in my stomach. I'd never told anyone before, but I was terrified of roller coasters. The way they flung you around with barely anything to keep you strapped in scared the wits out of me. My breathing quickened hastily, and I scratched the back of my head.

"You okay, Jeremy?" Michael asked, noticing my movement. As he was my best friend, he was the only one who could tell when I was scared. He'd learned to identify the tells and figured out what meant what. Right now, the tells were giving the sign that I was about to wet my pants.

       I gulped and nodded, moving forward with our group. A cart on the ride went zooming past the line, only separated from us by a fence. I let out a little squeak and scrunched my shoulders, shutting my eyes in fear. Michael chuckled and ruffled my hair.

       "It's okay. I'll sit next to you if you want," he assured, smiling down at me. I nodded and grinned back.

       Eventually, we got into sections at the queue to identify which row we would ride in. Unfortunately, Michael and I got stuck right in the front.

       "I-is there any w-way we c-can switch?" I stuttered, looking longingly at the riders in line for the back seats. Michael shook his head and smiled calmly.

       "Don't worry, Jere. I'll be right next to you, and Christine's gonna be behind you. You'll be perfectly safe," he soothed, leaning on the rail. I steadied myself and calmed.

       When the cart pulled up, I clambered into my seat tentatively and pulled down the safety bars. Michael sat down next to me and strapped himself in. Inevitably, the ride began to move. I felt myself shaking uncontrollably and, on impulse, grabbed Michael's arm and hugged it close to my chest. He laughed and turned his head to me. We made eye contact and he smiled, as if giving me permission to clutch onto him.

       The ride was crazy and fast, with circles and swerves on every corner. I screamed most of the time, tightening my grip on Michael's arm. He just whooped and put his free arm in the air. His arm was somewhat of a comfort to me, something to remind me I was safe. It all felt fine to me, riding the way I was. I didn't feel like anything was wrong. What I didn't realize was that Christine was drilling a glare at Michael and I from behind, a look of jealousy and suspicion plastered on her face.

I hope you enjoyed this! There's a lot of writing here, I know. I just couldn't stop! Feel free to give me feedback in the comments below :)

~1318 words~