•~twelve~•

~Jeremy's POV~

I hustled to keep up with the rest of the group, my nerves taking over. Tonight had to be perfect. It needed to be perfect, for Michael's sake. I began running through my head the things I would say to him, just in case I inevitably screwed up. At least I couldn't pass out this time; we were going to be sitting on a hill.

I gripped the edges of the box, breathing heavily. As the group neared the site where we would sit, I felt a knot forming in my chest. I tried not to focus on the possibility of me screwing up so much that Michael would lose interest.

Christine walked parallel with me, matching my pace.

       "You okay?" She whispered in my ear, noting how uncomfortable I looked. I locked eyes with her, and she immediately understood.

      "You'll be great. I'm sure of it. I can tell you for a fact that Michael loves you no matter how awkward you might be," she assured me, resting her hand on my shoulder. I inhaled deeply, attempting to slow my pounding heart.

       "Thanks, Christine," I muttered, shutting my eyes briefly. I felt her pat me on the back in an attempt to calm me down.

       "What's in the box?" She asked as I reopened my eyes. I glanced down at the brown container, letting out another huff of breath.

"It's for Michael," I mumbled, cracking the lid just slightly so that Christine could see inside. She let out a quiet squeal, eyeing the azalea excitedly.

       "He's going to love it!" She exclaimed in a hushed tone. I chuckled sheepishly, hugging the box close to my chest.

       "I'm just really nervous," I admitted. "I mean, I know he's liked me for a while, but it's still impossibly difficult to form words. He makes me so jittery and flustered."

       "I know you can do it Jeremy. If he loves you as much as I know he does, you won't even have to finish your sentence. Besides, if you can't make any sound come out of your mouth, just kiss him. That'll deliver the message instantly."

       My face burned a bright scarlet as I took another deep breath. We were drawing near to the spot where we were supposed to view the fireworks, meaning I had precious little time remaining to prepare. I conjured up a few different possibilities, rereading them in my head to check that they weren't too cliché. Michael, you're my best friend and --no, too bland. I love everything about you--too forward! There's nothing like your smile--maybe, maybe. I let out a frustrated groan, earning a few looks from the others in the group. Why was this so difficult?

       We approached the grassy hill we were to sit on, and I made one last attempt to calm myself down. The fireworks were just starting up, shooting into the sky with whistles and shrieks. I plopped down next to Michael on the ground, setting down the box next to me on the opposite side. He glanced at me and beamed, his glasses reflecting the shimmers of light in the sky. I sighed dreamily, the many reasons why I was asking him out in the first place filling my head. I gazed at the explosions in the air, taking a moment to breathe before I did the unthinkably impossible. Michael followed my eyes, watching the explosions with a sort of admiration.

       We sat like that for a long time, unknowingly stealing glances at each other. The absolute ecstasy on his face as he watched the explosives erupt into millions of gleaming particles made me smile wider than Earth itself. I studied the features on his face for the third time that day, still receiving the same rush of whimsy and excitement as before. His lips curved into that familiar grin that sent shivers down my spine, and his nose crinkled in the cutest way possible. Every so often his glasses would slip down the bridge of his nose, and he would reach up and delicately slide them back up to rest before his eyes. Oh, his eyes. They sparkled brighter than the fireworks themselves, their chocolatey color foxy and dashing. His defined, perfectly crafted cheekbones shimmered as an enormous explosive burst with a "pop!" high in the sky. I gazed wonderfully at him for what seemed like centuries, his glorious, towering figure astoundingly impressive among the bland citizens around us. He suddenly turned his head just the slightest bit towards me, and I looked away immediately. I could tell he was admiring me the exact same way I was a moment ago, and I knew the timing was the best it could get. I locked eyes with Christine, and she shot me a thumbs-up paired with a grin. I let out a quiet huff of breath, preparing for the most important moment in my entire life.