•~twenty-six~•

~Jeremy's POV~

       "Get away! Someone help!" I shouted through oncoming tears, tearing and clawing at the mysterious attacker. They slapped me away with one hand, with the other still clamped around Michael's throat. The stranger's fingers dug violently into his tawny skin, sure to leave a clean set of purple bruises. Michael's face was turning bright red, the shade deepening with every second. Despite that, he was still moving frantically, so I was able to breathe just a little.

"Fire! There's a fire!" Melanie screamed, waving one arm in the air. With the other, she threw a punch at the stranger and knocked him off balance, although it didn't change much. They remained rooted to the spot, intent on harming. They kept repeating a variation of the same phrase over and over again, all directed toward Michael:

       "You ruined my plan! You idiot! You ruined everything!"

       I had no idea what it meant, but I couldn't focus on that. What I needed to focus on was the fact that Michael was no longer moving. He lay sprawled across the pavement, his limp body unmoving and ragdoll-ish. A scream of fury bubbled in my throat, and my head pounded like a sledgehammer.

       "Get—away—from–him!" I roared suddenly, the abrupt surge of anger and adrenaline pushing me into action. I threw myself into the attacker and knocked them off balance, crashing to the ground on top of them. All I could see was red. I used all of my strength to keep them pinned to the ground, leaving me and them breathless. I barely felt the security guard that entered the scene yank me away from him and toss me aside, going straight for the figure.

       After I regained my proper vision, I became aware of the situation. Melanie was somewhat restraining me in her arms, while at the same time shrieking at the authorities. A crowd of adults had gathered around Michael, mostly with the same useless First-Aid kit cradled in their arms.

       "Hey! Let me through, please!" I exclaimed loudly, although it wasn't loud enough. None of the adults would pay any mind to a teenager's feelings, and they weren't concerned with who Michael even was, which I supposed was a good thing. At least he was getting help.

I strained my neck to see inside the center of the crowd, yearning to catch a glimpse of what was going on. Shouts for people to back up and worried panting from mothers nearby filled the noisy air, making it utterly impossible for Melanie and I to be heard. I felt Mel grip my hand worriedly and jump up and down in an attempt to be heard or seen, although nobody seemed to catch sight of her. The looming feeling of inescapable dread filled my head, and I swallowed nervously.

       It was a long time before we got any sign of change. A gasp rippled through the sea of strangers, and I could barely see that Michael had sat up. He immediately tried to stand, only to stumble and fall to his knees. He began coughing violently, sending a violent chill crawling up my spine. I found myself being tugged to the side by Mel, where a security officer was towering menacingly.

       "Excuse me, sir!" She waved her free hand, gaining his attention. "That's my brother, I need to make sure he's okay." She pointed at the growing mass of people, putting on a face of maturity and authority. The officer raised an eyebrow, then his gaze wandered to me.

       "What about him?" He jerked his thumb towards me, his mouth pressed into a thin, skeptical line. Despite his obvious prejudices, her cold stare didn't falter, and she immediately shot back a response.

       "Significant other," she replied coolly, her voice remaining steady. The man looked to me again, studying my puffy red eyes and saddened expression. I tried to ignore the weak coughing and protesting from the center of the crowd and looked away, drying my eyes quickly with my sleeve. Eventually, he nodded and led us through the crowd, shouting what sounded like a bunch of nonsense to me.