•~six~•

Day Two

~Jeremy's POV~

       "Do I really have to ride the Volcano?" I groaned, glancing up at the ride. It was Day 2 of our trip, and we'd just gotten in line for our first ride of the day: The Volcano.

       The Volcano looked like a giant Ferris Wheel while it was in motion, but it was about seven times more terrifying. Before it began, it just looked like a circle with covered carts attached to it. The rider(s) sat in a little carriage-type compartment and locked themselves in with a gate. The ride would start rotating and gradually move upward until it was vertical, all the while picking up speed until it was spinning real fast. The worst part: there were no seat belts. The ride used centrifugal force to keep you in your seat.

"Calm down, scaredy cat, you'll be fine," Rich taunted, gazing at the ride in awe. He seemed quite fascinated by the way it spun.

"I think you can have up to four in a compartment," Khloe mentioned, glancing at the safety regulations sign by the entrance. "That means we can split in half." After some bickering and arguing, we decided to split with boys in one compartment and girls in the other.

When it was our turn to ride, I was visibly shaking with fear. I fidgeted with the hem of my shirt, feeling my feet tremble within my shoes. Michael glanced down at me and wrapped his arm around my shoulder, a light hearted smile on his face. I felt my racing heart skip a few beats as I matched his gaze. That morning, he'd waken up before me, so he didn't know that I knew he kissed me or that he cuddled me in my sleep. I decided not to mention it and to act like nothing happened. It was too soon for me to figure out what I should do about the situation.

       I also decided that I needed Christine's help with Michael. The thousands of voices in my head were sending mixed signals on how I felt about Michael, and I knew she was good at helping people figure themselves out. Also, she knew more about relationships than I did and even though we broke up, we were still friends. She'd established that when we got on the bus earlier that morning. I knew that she would be the most willing out of the entire group to help me out, and I knew I could trust her to help me figure out my feelings.

       As we approached the cart, I felt my face go scarlet and my stomach fill with inescapable dread. The compartment was long and hard, with metal bars attaching the roof to the "seats." Michael opened the "door" and we clambered inside. The compartment wasn't wide enough for us to sit side-by-side, so we were forced to side in a line between each other's legs. Rich sat at the front, Jake behind him, then Michael, then me at the back.

Even as we climbed in, I couldn't focus on what I was doing. The fear building up inside me was overwhelming, and I could feel myself getting weak in the knees. I fell forward and managed to settle myself into the seat.

       Michael climbed in and sat down in front of me. I drew my knees up to my chest, trying to make room for him and minimize my obvious shaking.

       "You might not want to ride like that," Michael advised. "You could hurt yourself." I gulped, knowing I would eventually have to move, and stretched my legs out to the sides. Michael scooted in between them and did the same for Jake.

       Once we were all in, a worker came around the corner and shut the measly gate keeping us inside. No turning back now, I thought miserably, longingly gazing at the citizens still on the ground. The ride started to move, slow and steady at first, but gradually building up to lightning speed. The compartment swung around violently, throwing all four of us to the side. I let out a piercing screech and jammed my eyes closed. I heard Rich cackling maniacally from the front and Jake repeatedly whooping loudly. The ride began to tilt, swinging us on a diagonal. I felt intense pressure pushing me down onto the seat as we flew upside down for the briefest moment and swung back around. Still screaming violently, I grabbed onto the bars around the compartment and felt my stomach doing flips. The cart swung us forward, jerking me face-first into Michael's back. I threw my arms around his torso and held on as tight as I could, an endless supply of screams spilling out through my lips. I heard his smooth laughter over the piercing screams of the other riders (and me) as he scooted backwards just slightly so that I could have a more comfortable grip.