Summer

The next morning, things felt weird.
"Morning sunshine," Freddy said, giving me a cheek smooch.

"Hey Freddy," I say, and he sits on his usual seat.

"Morning, Senior Rockers!" Mr Finn says, coming in.

"Morning, Mr Finn," voices say.

I look at Tomeeks, and I see something weird in her eyes.
"Today we are gonna be working in pairs!" he says.

Tomika looks at me with a big smile, and I give her a wink.

"But you know, since I am the teacher and if you don't believe me, come check out my degree," he takes out his papers.
"It's been 2 years, Mr Finn. When will you get over it?" Zack says.

"No, I won't get over it, and I shall pick your partners. You guys always pick the same people if I let you choose," he says, and my heart starts beating faster.

What if I don't get Tomeeks?
"Okay... Summer and Asher," he says. I freeze and look at my ex-boyfriend. He paired me up with my EX BOYFRIEND!

"Tomika and ...uh...Zack," I look at my bestie. Poor Tomika, why does Mr Finn want to pair us up with out ex's!?

"Wait, I mean Zack and Lawrence," Mr Finn says, and I see Tomeeks let out a sigh of relief.

"Tomika and Freddy," I see Tomika look at Freddy, and I look at Tomika and Freddy. Why is she paired with him? Why not me?

"I'll give you 5 min, and since I am awesome, I'll pick your song," he reads us our songs," Oh and Summer, persimmons!" he says lastly. Did I not mention that he hypnotized me again?

I get up and walk to Asher. Why did he transfer to our class? Oh yeah, we were dating at the time.
"So... Do you know the song?" I ask.
"Iris by Goo Goo Dolls? Yeah, I know it," he says, and we start working on it.

"Summer! Asher! You're up!" We hear Mr Finn call.
Asher and I walk to the middle of the room.

(Asher)
And I'd give up forever to touch you 'cause I know that you feel me somehow.

(Summer)
You're the closest to heaven that I'll ever be, and I don't wanna go home right now.

I looked at Asher, and my heart skipped a beat. Then I felt Freddy's stare. I dont know what is happening. Singing with him felt so familiar. It feels right. For a moment, I realized all the reasons I fell for him in the first place.

(Both)
And I don't want the world to see me 'cause I don't think that they'd understand.
When everything's meant to be broken, I just want you to know who I am...

What is happening?