02

02

- B L A I R E -

11.06.16  // 7:23 p.m.

THE SUN IS SLOWLY creeping down the horizon, the orange spectrum lights cascade over Beverly Hills as I get ready for a night out. I tie my hair into a ponytail, catching a glimpse of the strange birthmark that is on my right wrist. Sutter is in love with it, but I think it is hideous.

My long loose curls fall effortlessly down my back. My black dress hugs my body tightly as if it is specially made just for me. My blue stiletto heels sit lonely in the back of the closet due to the fact that I haven't worn them in months. I stand up on my tippy toes and grip the straps of the shoes.

The heels make me three inches taller than I actually am and I feel like I am on top of the world, as I should be. I look at my reflection in the mirror one more time before I leave, making sure I look highly presentable.

My mom isn't at home because she has a business trip in San Francisco and wouldn't be returning until till later on tonight, making it easier to sneak out. All I have to do is get past the housekeeper who watches everything closely, like a cat.

I tiptoe down the stairs, trying to be as quiet as possible, but it is quite hard due to these heels that clink loudly against the marble staircase.

Ms. Lucia, the housekeeper since two thousand and five, swoops around the corner of the great room and stares at me intently, making me freeze halfway down the stairs.

     "Going somewhere?" She asks, placing her frail hands on her hips. Her round spectacles slip down her nose slowly as she blinks up at me.

       "I was just going to meet up with Victoria. Nothing big, just a couple of chick flick movies and popcorn," I lie, tucking a piece of hair behind my ear as I avoid Ms. Lucia's intense gaze.

         "Dressed like that? Do you really expect me to believe you are just going to a friend's house? Your mom told me to keep you on lockdown until she came back."

         "My mom doesn't have to know, just please let me go. It's one night," I beg, putting my palms flat against each other in a praying gesture. I bat my eyelashes at her and poke out my bottom lip. Ms. Lucia loses her serious face and breaks out into a small smile.

          "Fine, don't tell your mom that I let you go out tonight or I'll be fired. Be back at eleven o'clock sharp or by all means I will hunt you down myself and drag you back here," she warns.

       "Thank you," I breathe, visibly relaxing.

That was easy.

I can't help but squeal with excitement and take the rest of the stairs to hug her. She laughs and hugs me back quickly before pulling away.

Germaphobe.

I leave the house, enter the lock code on the iPad next to the door, and breathe in the fresh autumn air. The last few bits of daylight still hang around in the sky, waiting for darkness to crack it open and take over. The air smells of rain and wet trees. The leaves crunch under my feet as I make my way around to the back of my house where Sutter's car is parked.