52

52

- S U T T E R -

11.20.16 // 2:45 p.m.

LIGHT RAIN DROPS fall on my face as I make my way to the door of the police station, holding onto the straps of my backpack that contain Victoria's diary. In my right pocket, I grip the note she wrote me, still debating if I should give it to the police or not.

It's a chilly day, with dark grey clouds taking over the once blue sky. I stand outside of the police station, staring at the door, my hand hovering above the handle.

Just go in. Get this over with.

I try to shake off my never ending nerves, but I didn't know how. Now that I have another lead on to where Blaire could be, my heart is back to beating too fast and my brain wheels are turning at twenty miles per hour. My stomach quivers slightly and I feel the pressing need to throw up. I run a hand through my hair, letting a breath pass though my dry lips.

When I go to open the door, someone on the other side beats me to it and swings the door open, making it smack against my head. I stumble back a bit as I grip my throbbing forehead and look up into brown eyes.

Joshua stands there, his mouth wide open and the corner of his eyes crinkle. He shakes his head and offers me a smile.

"Sorry, Sutter, I didn't see you there," he says, patting me on the back. I glare at him and he raises his hands in a defensive manner. "Everything okay with you? You don't look so well."

"Everything is just dandy," I spit, sarcasm lacing through my tone. Joshua cocks his head to the side and eyes me curiously.

"You're still looking for Blaire, aren't you?" He ask and I shrug. "I can help you, you know, if you want my help."

"You can help me?" I scoff. "The only thing you can do is pick fights with people for no reason. None of this would have happened if it weren't for you and your stupid need to hit on my fucking girlfriend."

"You can't just go blaming me, Sutter. It isn't my fault, none of this is my fault," he says innocently.

"What are you even talking about? What do you know?" I ask. He smirks at me before running a hand through his floppy mop of dark hair.

"Do you really want to know?" He ask. I fold my arms over my chest and stare him down. Joshua simply shrugs and waits for me to answer, as if isn't obvious.

"Yes, I want to know." He gestures for me to come closer before leaning down to whisper in my ear.

"I know where Blaire is." My eyes widen and I take a step back from him. "This whole time. I helped with it all."

That, right there, pushes me right over the edge. I raise my fist and slam it into the front of Joshua's face.

There, hope that wipes that nasty smirk off your face.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" I ask incredulously as Joshua holds his bloody nose.

"Nothing is wrong with me." I shake my head as I drag him down the stairs and around to the side of the building, avoiding the police's strange looks.

"Tell me everything you know," I whisper in Joshua's ear, holding him close by the throat. His face turns red and his eyes are as wide as saucers as he struggles for breath.

Not so cocky now.

"O-okay. Let go a-and I'll tell y-you," he stutters as I squeeze tighter. "Please." I breathe in deeply before abruptly letting him go. He coughs loudly and places his hands on his knees, filling his lungs with air.

"Start talking," I say and he looks up at me through hazy eyes.

"Fine, let's start from the beginning," he starts. "T kidnapped me when I was a child."

T...why does that sound familiar?

"Who is T?" I ask and he rolls his eyes.

"The fake manager at the club. He's the one that took Blaire."

"That little bit-" Joshua cuts me off.

The notes! T wrote those notes.

"He kidnapped me when I was eight. I played one of his kids he lost. Eventually, I got too old and he had to let me go, on one condition. I had to work for him."

"One of his kids? What does that mean?" I ask and he shakes his head as if he couldn't even believe it himself.

"He had three kids that were taken from him. They were put into foster care when he started to go crazy," he explains and I nod my head, ushering for him to continue. "I had to cause some kind of commotion that night at the club so T had a reason to get Blaire. You were too drunk and shaken up to notice her leave."

       "So, where is she? Where is this T guy because once I get my hands on him-" Joshua cuts me off again.

     "He is a very smart man, Sutter. You can't just saunter into the place and kill him. It doesn't work that way," he murmurs dryly.

"Why are you so willing to come forth now?" I ask and Joshua sighs, running a and through his hair.

"I guess I'm just tired of being a liar."

Joshua's phone starts to ring and he pulls it out of his pants pocket. His eyes widen when he sees who calls and he quickly puts the phone away.

     "I have to go," he says in a rushed tone and I place my hands on his chest to stop him.

     "No, tell me where Blaire is," I mutter. He shakes his head and laughs.

      "You don't understand, Sutter. I have to go, sorry," he calls over his shoulder as he walks away quickly. "Turn in the diary, not the letter. Keep both of them. You will need them to find Blaire."

       "Wait, how do you know about the letters?" I shout after him. Joshua turns slightly and gives me a ghost of a smile before disappearing behind the brick building, leaving me standing there, completely lost.

Just like that.

___________________

thanks for reading! please don't forget to vote and leave your feedback!!

-jayymckenziee