49

49

- V I C T O R I A -

11.18.16 // 8:23 p.m.

I grip onto the letter tightly with one hand and steer my car with the other. My window is down, letting the chilly breeze whip my hair in my face. I take a quick glance down at the letter in my hand.

Dear Victoria,

The truth will set you free.

-Sarah Longthorn

That's all the letter said and after thinking about it for a long time, I knew what I needed to do. My eyes are blurry as more tears escape and slip down my cheeks.

My old, beaten-up diary that is bound in brown leather, cracked and dry from age and smelling of wet leaves and autumn air, sits innocently in the passenger seat of my car. It taunts me as I push down harder on the gas petal.

I need to leave.

Sutter's brown house comes into view and my heart almost stops beating so fast. Almost.

I need to escape.

I step out of my car, swing around to the other side and take my journal out. I look down again and decide to grab the rock that sat there too. That rock. That special, jagged rock that kept me up for so many nights.

Am I doing the right thing? 

I stand on the porch, my hand hovering over the doorbell. I decide against it and instead, place the journal on the front porch. I put the rock on top of it and take a step back, watching the pages flutter from the wind.

There, that will explain everything.

I stare at it for a minute, feeling as if I am  willingly letting a piece of myself go. My heart thuds in my chest as I turn away before I could change my mind and make my way to my car.

The truth will set me free.

_________________

thanks for reading! pls vote and comment :)

-jayymckenziee