Chapter 17

It was the day of Kenny's funeral. We held the funeral at the club because we didn't want the town to see that we didn't have a ceremony for Al. None of the guys thought that he deserved one, not even Earl. 

Kenny's coffin stood in the center of the room in the bar and everyone in the club, their families and friends stood around it. Even Matt was there. 

"Kiddo", Bobby who all the suddenly stood next to me and Matt said. 

"Yeah?" I asked. 

"Can you please sing that song you sang on your fathers funeral? I know that Kenny would have liked it a lot", he said. 

"Of course", was all I could say. I hadn't sung in front of anyone since the day of my fathers funeral and that was ages ago! I was sort of freaking out all of the sudden. 

"Go grab your guitar and the ceremony will start", he said. 

I did as he said and went to my room with Matt right behind me. I totally understood that he didn't want to be out with the whole club all alone. 

"I can't sing in front of my club!" I said as soon as Matt had shut the door closed behind us. 

"Why not? You've done it before", he said. 

"Yeah when I was thirteen!" I said. "That was eight years ago, I can't do that now."

"Yes you can", he said. "Come on Jaclyn we both know that you can do anything."

"I wish…" 

"Well I believe until you prove me wrong so take that guitar now and let's go back to all the creepy biker dudes", he said which made me laugh a little. 

"Thank you", I said and kissed him. 

We went out to the bar and the ceremony started. Bobby talked about how Kenny was and how much he'd meant for everyone in the club. I was impressed that he managed to do that. I mean it was his son. It was then time for me to sing the song. I could feel how every part of my body shook because I was so nervous but I had to do it. 

"I don't know what you've been goin' thru

It's been great I surely will miss you

But I don't need no sympathy from you

It's so frightening when dreams do come true

Standin' on the verge of insanity

Standin' on the edge of being free

Standin' on the verge

Standin' on the edge of being...

I believe I said it twice to you

I confess I can't remember what's true

Out of sight, out of mind that won't happen to me n' you

Same old situation

Sad but true

Standin' on the verge of insanity

Standin' on the edge of being free

Standin' on the verge

Standin' on the edge of being free

Yeah, I need someone

Need another soul

Restless, hopeful and a heart of gold

Yeah, I need someone

Need another soul

Restless, hopeful and a heart of gold

Standin'

Standin'

I'm standin' at the end of the road

Standin'

Standin'

I'm standin' at the end of the road

Standin' on the verge of insanity

Standin' on the edge of being free

Standin' on the verge

Standin' on the edge of being free.."

I took a deep breath when the song was finished. Then there was applauds. Everyone in the room smiled over at me and clapped their hands. Who does that at a funeral? Oh well.