07

CHAPTER SEVEN

EMOTIONS overwhelmed jennie when she reached jisoo's door.

looking past the narrow window, into the white room, she could see a nurse standing next to the girl's bed, a clipboard grasped in one hand. they examined jisoo, then moved around the the heart monitor, scribbling something down. maybe there's no more hope, she initially stepped to, then it was the, you can't give up on her. she told jisoo she would never stop believing in her, which she wasn't ever going to.

jennie's breathing grew shallow as her fingers curled around the handle. the door squeaked opened, gaining the nurse's attention.

"miss kim," they smiled. "it's nice to see you here. how have you been?"

the girl internally cringed at how they actually acted surprised to see her there. it seemed like everyone was just waiting for her to give up.

"just fine." jennie kept her answer short, wishing they'd leave already.

"no flowers today?"

promptly, jennie's eyes glanced at the vase with wilted tulips.

she was planning to pick up some fresh flowers for her girlfriend, but ended up getting sidetracked with the grocery shopping. instead of speaking aloud, the girl just shook her head. the nurse gave a pitiful smile, adding a curt nod, before jotting something else down on the sheet of paper.

even if jennie didn't want to ask the question that always lingered in the back of her mind, then hear the same response, she still asked it.

"is there any progress with jisoo?"

though, once she saw the look in the nurse's eyes, she realized she should've just kept quiet.

after the other left the room, jennie pushed the plastic chair next to jisoo's bed. she ran her fingers over the petals of the withering flower, a few detaching then falling to the table. jennie brought her hands back to her lap, switching her focus on the beautiful girl in front of her.

jennie opened her mouth, about to say something, only for the words she wanted to speak to disappear.

she wanted to say i miss you, which was always followed by her saying how she wanted her to wake up, soon, she'd almost plead. but she decided not to speak them. instead, jennie talked about her experience in the grocery store- although, it really was quite boring and not exciting in the slightest. she mentioned that she bought jisoo's favourite dinner item, somehow expecting the girl to suddenly wake up and yell don't eat it without me.

a laugh managed to escape jennie, it was mixed with sadness and desperation, but it was something.

"it hasn't rained in awhile," jennie finally spoke.

the sun had been shining brightly, with clear skies, for a few days now.

"i never liked the rain," letting out a puff of air, she added, "but you were always so happy. i still remember those smiles."

she grabbed onto jisoo's hand.

"i miss the rain."