14

CHAPTER FOURTEEN

"YOU remember that time we got kicked out of the library, right?"

it was jisoo's idea to go the library, to spend the afternoon reading books and have a break from their exhausting jobs. it was jennie who got bored way too quickly, begging her girlfriend for some attention, telling the girl to focus on her, instead of giving it all to the 'lifeless object'; which was what she decided to call the books after ten minutes of even being in the building. then jennie proceeded to poke jisoo's cheeks, wanting to make the girl smile or laugh, but to her dismay, neither happened.

jennie couldn't exactly remember how she ended up standing on the table, but suddenly, she was dancing, trying to make jisoo crack a grin. anything.

"i think i almost fell off the table, like, five times," jennie shook her head.

then, it was the librarian telling jennie to get down from the table, though it was more like shouting- which was kind of ironic, considering they were in a place that was supposed to be silent. anyways, she jumped down and muttered a bunch of apologies. jennie probably could've gotten away with it, if she didn't end up laughing.

she snorted, "i thought they'd just ask us to leave, i didn't think we would be banned from ever coming back."

so, that was how jisoo's afternoon was ruined by jennie, who got them both kicked out of the library, even if the older girl did nothing wrong. nevertheless, the evening wasn't a complete let-down. on their way home, they stopped at the pet shop. it was jisoo's turn to start to whine and beg at jennie, wanting nothing more than to take one of the dogs home. but their apartment was too small, as reminded, sadly, and that was the reason why the pair only left with a goldfish.

once jennie was done reminiscing over their past dates, she wiped her eyes with the back of her hand.

being in the hospital everyday, talking to someone who just laid there, motionlessly, was tiring. it had always been from the very start.

but jennie pushed through it all, hoping jisoo would, too.

her eyes stung with tears that never fell, lips curved back down into a frown as she finished speaking. talking was easy, for jennie, anyways, she could open her mouth and blurt out any story to jisoo, knowing that while she spoke about their happiness, she would forgot about her own sorrow. for a moment, at least.

deep down - okay, not that deep, probably hovering at the front of her mind - she hoped jisoo would be listening.

maybe, one day, the girl would suddenly open her eyes and answer a question out of the blue. maybe suddenly giggle over a memory jennie was rambling on and on about.

but there was always that little pang of hurt, as well, the teasing what if jisoo doesn't wake up. but it faded out somewhere during the 'doesn't' because jennie hated that sentence for even existing in her thoughts. the doctor said she was breathing fine on her own, able to wake up any day now. thumb rubbing over the back of jisoo's hand, jennie repeated in her head that the girl would wake up. that everything would go back to normal again, soon, and they could go back to living their lives together.

and like always, jennie continued to talk, ignoring the heavy pain in her heart.