Eleven: A Letter

*Rush*

Why couldn't anything go right for once?

She'd lost everything seven years ago. She'd lost her pack and she'd lost her family. She'd been alone as his mother and her army of vampires took hold of the Ironlands, massacring every red wolf on sight.

He didn't exactly understand the trigger behind his mother's wrath but the fact that the Alpha of the Crimson Pack had refused to provide ten unmated females as tribute. However, Rush knew the vampire queen could have easily taken those females without even the Alpha's permission. In his heart, he knew well why she killed every living red wolf in those lands. She'd craved a bloodbath for years. Rush had suppressed all forms of blood cruelty for decades, and she'd suddenly snapped that night seven years ago. She'd snapped and gone behind his back to feed her bloodthirst.

His mother had taken everything from his mate. His mother had killed a part of her life that Rush could never fulfill. She'd taken a part of her life that Rush never had--a loving family and assurance that he'd go far. He'd always been told he was a disappointment when his father had left his mother. He'd been tested harsher than any of his other brothers because he was the eldest and the one who had been "spawned by evil."

His mother would find his wrath this time. Her and her vampires would pay unmeasurable tribute to him, to Aletha.

Rush paced in his study, his jaw ticking. Ever since he found his mate, things just grew more and more complicated. She didn't want him, she wanted another male. She despised him, and even tried taking her life. She wanted to go back to her lover's pack, and she wouldn't listen to Rush. She wouldn't believe Rush. And now she found out his part vampire ancestry--something that terrified her because what they did to her in the past.

On top of that, Rush had contacted the Alpha of the Winter Pack who knew blood magic, and she'd disclosed frightening information about Lucien's motives with selling Aletha to rogues. Aletha would have been a victim in the wolf trafficking. How lucky was she that Rush had found her in time?

He almost breathed out in relief, but then he thought harder about Lucien. And if Rush connected all the pieces correctly, that motherfucker had found her shortly after she'd lost her home. He'd found her and took her to his pack...but with a dark motive.

No matter how much Aletha believed he was a saint, Rush knew Lucien was a demented motherfucker. Why else was Rush so forceful with Aletha when she wouldn't leave with him? Why else did he mark her even when she believed she was Lucien's? He'd done it because she was in danger. He knew people's intentions. And he knew the intentions of Alphas the most. No Alpha wanted a Luna who wasn't his true mate, especially not the power-hungry Lucien. And with the message from the Alpha of the Winter Pack, Rush had tangible evidence against Lucien and not just his gut feeling that Lucien had malevolent intentions with her.

If only she would believe him.

Her unwillingness to accept him was getting to a point where it was just aggravating. She needed to grow up. Had she learned the aspect of growing up which involved acting sensibly for once? He didn't know. Her tantrums reminded him of a child, and he didn't appreciate her attitude, especially when he was trying his hardest not to snap in front of her. And goddamn, it took all of his self-control to keep himself levelled with her.

His sister Kyla finally stood up from the seat. "You want me to do something about this? If she doesn't get her bitchy self together, I'll slap some senses into her."

He shook his head. "No Kyla. Don't hurt her...she's already very hurt." He looked at the fireplace, how the red flames swirled. It reminded him of Aletha's hair. And how he'd just seen all that blood come out of her. "Just give her time. She'll understand." But he doubted that would ever happen. That female had the stubbornness of a rock—fucking unbendable. She just wouldn't cooperate or listen. And Rush honestly had no clue how to get her to open her ears if she wouldn't open her eyes.