Fourteen: Escape

*Aletha*

Kyla had taken her back to her chamber without another word. Aletha was grateful, because she knew if Kyla said anything to her, it would be anything but nice. Kyla's grip on her was tight, rigid, as she made her sit on the edge of her bed. Then she went back to her door and called out to the maids to prepare some food.

"You don't have to feed me," Aletha told her.

Kyla turned to her and regarded her coldly. "I don't, but I would like to see you fed. You look like a corpse, and we don't look like corpses in this pack. It's a sign of weakness, and in the Darklands, weakness kills you faster than a blade."

"But you all are corpses," said Aletha. "Vampires are nothing but corpses."

Kyla's eyes narrowed and her fingers formed fists. "You want to repeat that shit you just said again?" She was not just angry, she was indignant. "We are very much alive, but what would you know about us? If you actually touched one, you'd know we have a pulse. We have a heartbeat. And we have blood the same color as everyone else. We are no different than you."

"You all are murderers," Aletha hissed, anger coiling inside of her. "Murderers and killers."

"Tell that to my mother and her army of vampires," Kyla said. "Not us. Not here. Rush played no part in murdering your pack. The Night Pack is not ruled under Queen Vicera. It's ruled under Alpha Rush, who hates violence when it is not necessary. Our mother has only given him violence since he was a child, and no one could protect him from her. Not even I could help him." She sounded aggrieved for the first time.. "So now I made it my personal duty to protect my brother from cruelty and torment. He's the last person in this realm to deserve it."

"But he is cruel!" Aletha cried. "Everything he did to me is cruel!"

"Because he was trying to protect you," said Kyla. "Lucien is the worst man you can involve yourself with. Trust me, I know everything he's done. He is calculating and he wants power. You think he took you in because he took pity on you and fell in love?" Kyla scoffed. "He doesn't love anybody. He has no heart, Aletha. He only has a nasty conscience."

"You never know how the heart changes," Aletha countered.

Kyla's gaze darkened. "You have to have a heart for it to change. And a word of advice: quit your wishful thinking. I'm not saying this because I despise you. I am looking out for you. You may love my mate, but that means nothing to me. He may not want me, but I don't give a shit to what he wants and what he doesn't. If I always thought that maybe Lucien would change his mind and come back for me, I would be a damsel in distress, just waiting for her knight in shining armor who would have never arrived. I would have died in a heartbreak. You will too if you don't close that part of your life."

"But I don't know how to close him off." She felt fresh tears in her eyes but she wiped them away before they could fall. She didn't know if Rush and Kyla were telling the truth. What if they were lying to her so she could hate Lucien and forget about him? What if they were doing this to get her to stay in this pack and give in?

She would never trust vampires. They'd once ruined her home and her family, and trusting them would ruin her new home. Her new family. Lucien was her family. She would always chose him over Rush.

The maids came moments later with platters of food. They set it beside her on the bed and Kyla told them to leave. She remained by the doorframe and watched Aletha with her dark gaze. Aletha knew she needed to get something in. It was for the best.

She grabbed the spoon and decided on the soup. She slowly brought the creamy liquid to her lips and let it finally run over her tongue as it gave her the overwhelming flavor of its richness. Her stomach rumbled in response, demanding more, and she gave it what it desired.

After she was done, the maids took the tray from her room and left without another sound.

"I know my brother told you about our mother's visit next full moon," Kyla said finally. "I want you to train with me. I can make you stronger so you'll be prepared to face her. She likes things to get very lively. She once willingly allowed one of her guards to slaughter me." Kyla raised her leather tunic and showed her the horizontal abrasion along her midriff.

Aletha shrieked out in horror. How could a mother do something so horrendous to her own child?

"It healed but never faded away, because the weapon was carved with dark magic." Kyla pulled her shirt back down. "But that's my mother. She doesn't care who you are, but she will have her show. And you can't die at all costs, so we need to turn you into a proper match against that bitch."

"How..." Aletha began, swallowing. The mention of the vampire queen opened up wounds inside of her as dark memories flooded her mind. Hatred and fear mixed with each other. The savagery she did across this realm made her want to dig her claws in that female's throat, but it also terrified her. How did that queen become that way? Why did she desire blood to spill? "How will I go against her?"

"You won't be going against her," Kyla corrected. "You will be gaining her approval. If she likes you, then good. If she doesn't, she'll torture you at best or rip your limbs one by one until you die at worst."

She said it as if it was normal, but it unsettled Aletha. It made her want to wretch up everything she ate. Her head began to spin, and she felt locked in again. She felt trapped, helpless. She was sure now that she would die painfully by the hands of her enemy. "What do I have to do to make her like me?" she asked in a terrified whisper.

Kyla's lips curled up. "Simple. Just stop being you." Her body suddenly tensed up, and Aletha knew she was hearing a message from the pack link. And then Kyla was out the door in a hurry, shooting past the corridor. The door was ajar, and Aletha could only see the gaping darkness watching her, taunting her.

She'd never seen the door open like this before. He'd never left it open all those times he came. And if it was him leaving now instead of Kyla, he'd surely lock her chamber door before going on to whatever gruesome tasks he did that wrought blood and gore.

She didn't believe he was a gentle, noble Alpha. She was convinced he was cold and cruel. He was born from that vampire queen's womb—of course he would be just like her. He was a liar and he was deceptive. He would do anything to have her by his side, but she would prove him wrong.

She rose from the bed and walked to the door. She touched the dark wood, and it was smooth against her palm.

The Darklands were full of cruel creatures. They were merciless. She didn't doubt that Rush could kill her if he wished. After all, it was common knowledge that the Alpha of the Death pack had killed his former Luna. Everyone was terrified of him. And the worse thing was, the Death Alpha was close friends with Rush. Whispers had it that they were inseparable, that they fought the same wars together. That they were very much alike.

That wasn't good. If Rush was like the Death Alpha, she didn't just need to fear for her life—she needed to fear for her safety. Her life didn't matter, but if she was always exposed to danger, she didn't think she would be sane anymore.

She took another glance back at her window. Outside, she saw him running toward the forest with Kyla at his side. They seemed to be in a hurry as they disappeared within the trees. Some warriors followed after them, perhaps to guard the territory like Lucien had always done.

She turned back to the empty black corridor. Her heart raced as she stepped into the hall, away from her room. She could do this...she could go down the flight of stairs and use the tunnels that let to the dungeon to exit the castle. No one would suspect her this way. If she exited from the front, his men would question her and lock her back up.

She forced her feet to move faster. If she stayed here for another moment, she would suffocate. She couldn't handle him. She couldn't accept him. She couldn't deal with the queen again. She couldn't get slaughtered like her former pack. She needed to live in honor, to carry herself in honor. Remaining here would condemn her to a dark, unknown fate.

She could not remain here any longer.

******************

Unwise, sweetheart.