Chapter 11

•••

•••

Mykal stopped walking. How did she know? Was it that obvious all along? He played it cool and turned to ask her what she was talking about, but only saw King Gaines and the Bonaparte family approaching from behind her.

Johanna repeated what she said, and that earned the jaw-dropping reaction from the audience behind her, which she then realized they had after her father took a step past her. Sylvester stood next to her, surprised to see his childhood friend looking like a commoner, and working in the Grand Palace, far away from home.

Sylvester used to visit Damancia back when they were little elves, but they stopped being friends on account of something terrible happening. The Prince of Gorrin and the Prince of Damancia never saw each other after then, neither did they ever speak of the events that took place. Sylvester didn't recognize him at first, but now that he got a good look at his face, his insides churned, as flashes of what he did to Mykal in the past flooded his memory.

Johanna's father couldn't believe it, either. The runaway Prince of Damancia had been hiding out in his castle, right under his nose, using the alias: Limbo. As ridiculous as it sounded, there were far worse names than that, so he didn't find anything suspicious. He questioned Mykal about his reasons for running away from home, but Mykal refused to answer. King Gaines called for one of their butlers and requested that a message is taken to King Lambora of Damancia immediately. But Prince Sylvester was more than eager enough to volunteer to deliver the news and Mykal back to his home kingdom.

Mykal cursed under his breath as aggravation bubbled deep within him. After all these years, Sylvester wanted reconciliation. He never forgot what he did to him that night, how he took advantage of him.

A searing migraine hit Mykal with full force, causing him to drop to his knees and hold his head. He trembled vigorously, breathing heavily, small droplets of spit escaping through his gritted teeth. What was happening to him?

Johanna yelled out and started running towards him, but he warned her to stay away and she stood still, a few feet away.

He needed to leave before he did something he'd regret. And the saddest part is...he'll have to leave his children.

Mykal struggled to stand; he fell back on his knees, huffing. When he stood again, his legs wobbled beneath him, but he managed to stay up. He looked to her with caring, saddening eyes and told her to take care of Sonia and Gunther for him, and that he was deeply sorry.

He admitted, in front of everyone, his love for Johanna, and scampered away, out of the garden. Johanna's voice called out to him, but he kept running until he was through the gates of the Grand Palace.