Chapter 16

•••

•••

A few months had gone by since the battle between Damancia and the Dracorans.

Killing Ascelis wasn't something that Mykal wanted to do. He knew there would be consequences for his actions and that the remaining dragons would seek retribution in the future. It would endanger the life of his kingdom, of his family, but when the time came, he would put his life on the line to protect them again.

After all, his curse hadn't faded. He could still feel the thrum of the dragon's soul he'd killed when he was twelve years old. It coursed through his veins and he felt ten times more powerful than he was before he'd received such an unfortunate gift. And because of that, he'd still be able to use that power to his advantage.

Mykal stood by the window of his parlour in the castle grounds, staring off at the sunrise in the distance. It reminded him of the first time his father, King Lambora spoke to him about becoming king. He had barely turned sixteen when he was told how to be a proper and righteous, and how important it was to show leadership, to make decisions for the betterment of Damancia.

There was a soft knock on the door and Mykal answered. His mother smiled and stepped into the room, greeting him with a hug and a kiss. She expressed how handsome he looked in his coronation attire.

His green-leafed elf suit was complete with the shells of dead beetles, and the prince's crown sat comfortably atop his head.

Mykal told his mother about how sleepless his night was, but she replied by telling him that, after the night he'd had, that was bound to happen. The pain resulting from the loss of his father was so strenuous, and the Queen could see that he was nervous about taking the throne.

Putting on her "Mom pants", the queen encouraged her son to relax, take a breath, and focus on the task ahead, and that he turned out to be everything she and his late father had expected him to be.

She reminded him of his future wife and his children, and in response, Mykal spoke of how grateful he was to have Johanna by his side.

She'd been so good to him from the beginning - taking him into her home, offering him a job, and even going to the extent of helping to take care of Sonya and Gunther. She didn't have to, but she did.

Johanna was an amazing elf, an astounding princess. And she was going to be the perfect queen Damancia needed. She stepped up to enlighten and empower all female elves to participate in the various training exercises and outreach programmes the Mykal had implemented, during her time spent in Damancia, aiding in the kingdom's diverse development. Johanna really was a marvellous being.

Mykal nodded, understanding his mother's words as he saw it from her perspective.

There came the tolling of the castle bell and Mykal sighed. He tugged the collar of his green leaf jacket. With a parting word of advice, the queen encouraged her son to believe in himself and to also not feel guilty for his father's death. Additionally, she emphasized how proud the late King Lambora would have been of the mature elf he'd become. She gave him a final hug and kiss before leaving his parlour.

Mykal knew his mother was right. He had grown in more ways than when he'd last been home. He was irrational, irresponsible, and prideful. And even though running away was an immature thing to do when the time came for him to take up his responsibilities, it was still a learning experience.

He learned to be humble and loving, to go after and protect the people he cherished most. His father really would have been proud of his accomplishments.

King Lambora did not die in vain. He protected the kingdom until his end, and Mykal avenged him by ending Ascelis. He would honour his father's bravery, his ability to rule as a firm leader of Damancia. His willingness to die for the kingdom.

The bell tolled again and Mykal left his quarters in the tower and proceeded to the refurbished Grand Hall, the place where he would be marrying Johanna.

As he stood at the altar, the music began to play when Sonya walked down the aisle scattering rose petals as she made her way to the front. She was followed by Gunther, who was carrying a leaf that contained the rings. Everyone looked on in awe as the two adorable children passed, and then the moment came.

Johanna appeared at the end of the aisle. She wore a rather feathery white dress, accentuated with hints of gold at the hem of the sleeves and the train one arm entwined with that of her father. They slowly walked towards the front of the Hall, her train dragging against the marble flooring. When she arrived in front of him, she parted from her father, who then shook his hand and went to take a seat in the congregation.

Mykal removed her veil and revealed the black eyeliner that surrounded her eyes, complete with gold glitter and tiny silver beads. Three red dots speckled each of her cheeks, and she wore a gold necklace to which was attached a vertical line of embedded ruby gems that matched the ones in her earrings. Johanna's beauty was captivating, stealing his breath as he took in the very sight of her.

The officiator began to speak, and as the ceremony progressed, Mykal and Johanna exchanged their vows of heartfelt words about the moment they met and the journey they had taken to find love in each other. They then placed their rings on one another's fingers, and the officiator pronounced them elf and wife before they shared in a breathtaking kiss.

Following the ceremony was the coronation. The officiator brought forward a new crown since the one King Lambora wore was swallowed by the deadly mother of dragons. And the Queen brought forth her crown, signalling for Johanna to come and stand by her spouse. They indicated for them both to kneel and they did so. The older elf removed Mykal's crown and replaced it with the new crown, while the Queen did the same on Johanna's head. The two then stood and turned to face the entire kingdom that had gathered to witness his and Johanna's union, as well as their pronouncement as the new King and Queen of Damancia.

They laced their fingers together and exchanged smiled as every elf within their sight cheered them on. Sonya and Gunther ran towards them and hugged their legs. Mykal hoisted both of his children told them that this was the beginning of a new life for them, and he and Johanna shared a kiss to savour the moment, the applaud for the new royal family heard all the way across the kingdom.

And they lived happily ever after.

◆□◆□◆□◆□◆□◆

THE END

Thank you for reading! Any feedback on the book? Leave a comment right here.

◇ MARDAIS ◇