Chapter 12 - The savior

"Why would he do such a thing? Drunk or sober, doesn't he have any respect for girls?" I cry as Decker helps me to stand. He takes my hand, looks at it from every angle and brushes his fingers over the bruises.
"I think its not broken." He murmurs and then looks up to me. I can see that his lip is bleeding and there is a blue spot under his left eye.
"He hurt you?" I ask and he shakes his head.
"No, your brother did."
He replies, making eye contact.
Then I remember why I came here in the first place.
"Why did you tell Jason that I kissed you? From all the people- you told my brother." I say, raising my voice, almost yelling.
"I didn't. Tiffany did. But not about the kiss. She told him that you were the one I dumped Tiffany for." He yells back, raising his hands in frustration.
"I told Tiffany that I was leaving her. But I got nervous and said that I had met somebody else. It is a lie."
"But why does she think that I was the one?" I ask, calming down just a bit.
"Because... I guess she or her tag alongs saw me in the diner one night. You served me coffee. Remember?" Decker grabs the unconscious Parker by his arm and drags him to the pantry. Then he locks the door.
"But I just work there. I serve coffee for everyone." I reply, rubbing my hurting arm up and down, trying to ease the pain.
"She's gotten into her head that we," he points between us," have something."
"But why would she tell my brother? I know he is too protective some times but..." I can't finish when he cuts in.
"That's why. She told him because she knows that Jason will make you stay away from me and that way she could hurt us both."
Just then Matt comes in, opening the kitchen door.
"What is all the yelling going on in here?"
He then looks at me and sees the bruises on my hand. "What the hell happened?" Matt turns to see Decker take a beer from the fridge and open it.
"You hurt her?" Matt asks and Decker shakes his head.
"Parker did. I took care of him."
As soon as Jordan says that we all hear Parker ruffle around in the pantry, hitting the door with his leg or hand. Then there is silence. Matt looks straight at me.
"Jason is in the car, I'm coming with you. I guess you need help carrying him in the house."
I nod, holding my forearm against my stomach. I watch Decker finish his beer and then putting it down on the kitchen counter.
"Tell your brother that I want to speak to him on the morning." When he says that, Matt has already headed outside.
When I make my way outside, Decker heads into the living room.
"Party is over. Go home!" I hear him yell over the music as I shut the front door behind me.
I run to my car where Matt is standing, his hands tucked into his pockets.
"You ok driving?" He asks and I move to the driver's door, opening it.
"I really don't have another choice." I sit in and Matt follows my actions. I glance behind me and see Jason huddled into ball, laying down on the back seat. He has been in the car less than five minutes and it already smells like Decker's house here.
Alcohol- the poison that makes you do stupid stuff.
We drive in silence. I knew that Tiffany would do something to me soon but telling my brother that I had a relationship with Decker really blew me off. And the worst thing was- he told that to the most protective person in my family. My brother.

Like always, we manage to carry Jason to the sofa in our living room. There was actually no point of take him upstairs into his bedroom. Why waste energy when the fact of comfortable bed meant nothing to a drunk person?
A long blue bruise painted my forearm from my elbow to my wrist. Luckily my hand wasn't broken.
I watch Matt pull out a chair from the kitchen table and sit down. He waves me down, wanting me to join him. It was five in the morning and the recent event had totally wiped away my sleep.
"What happened in the kitchen?" Matt asks when I sit down beside him.
I sign.
"Parker pushed himself on me but Decker came into the kitchen and beat the shit out of him." I reply, watching Jason sleep on the sofa.
"Tiffany told Jason that I was in a relationship with Decker." I say bluntly.
"Wow, that girl has balls."
"Hey!" I slap Matt's shoulder. "I have to explain all of it to Jason now when he gets up in the morning. He must think that its true what Tiffany told him?"
"Don't worry. I think he got just upset. He can be very protective sometimes. And specially about his sister." Matt rubbed his arm and took mine.
"When he wakes in the morning, you can explain it all. He'll understand."
"I do hope so. Because if he doesn't I will kick his ass as well."
Matt pushes back his chair, its legs making a loud noise.
"I'll better head back."
"You going back to the party? How?" Matt was drunk, or sort of drunk. He never drunk as much as every one else did but he was in no condition to drive.
He points at the kitchen window where you could see morning sun raise.
"Early morning bus goes in 15 minutes." He takes out some cash and shows that to me.
"I always come prepared."
"Oh..."
"You go in bed. Get some sleep."
"Yeah, I guess so." I look at the time and it says 5:46. I can barely keep my eyes open now. Half an hour ago I thought I wouldn't fell asleep even if I got hit on the head with a baseball bat.

Six hours and four hours of restless sleep later I wake up with another headache. This time it's minor. Nothing I can't cure with a cup of coffee and some pills.
I turn on the faucet in the bathroom and wash my face with cold water. It helps a lot, washing away the sleepiness from my eyes. After pulling on some shorts and a tank top, I braid my hair and walk downstairs into the living room. Jason is still sleeping and I prepare myself a cup of the finest brew before taking a glass of cold water and walk up to the sofa.
He is sleeping so peacefully that waking him up would be a total shame.
A wicked smile curves up on my lips when I move to the back of the sofa and lean down.
"Shit! Fu$k!" Jason yells, falls of the sofa and stand on his feet when I pour the ice cold water on his face.
I just stand there, take a long swing of my hot coffee and set the empty glass on the table behind me.
"Juliet, what the hell?" He wipes his face into his sleeves, drying it up.
"You tell me, bro. Why the hell did you get into a fight with Decker, huh?" I put my hand on my hip and take another gulp of my brew.
"You know why. That jerk doesn't deserve you."
"So you believe what Tiffany told you? That girl is lying."
I grab a bottle of Advil and head back into the kitchen to get some water.
"Decker told me same but I can't trust that scumbag." Jason takes off his shirt and throws it on the water stained couch.
"We are not a couple." I pop the pill into my mouth and fill my glass with tap water. "If we were, you don't go hitting people. Doesn't matter who they are." Picking up the glass with my hand hurts so I change hands and try to hide the bruises from Jason. But I'm too late because my brother sees that immediately.
"What happened to your arm?" He points at it and I try to hide them.
"Nothing."
"Don't lie to me Juliet." He narrows his eyes and I know what he is going to say next.
"Decker did that, didn't he?"
Yeah, there it was.
"No!" I bark and reach for my coffee cup.
"Then who?"
"Parker!" I stroll past Jason and head upstairs. Jason doesn't stay far behind and when I reach my bedroom door, he slaps his hand against the doorframe, blocking me to enter.
"What happened?" He barks. "I leave you alone for one weekend and when I come back I hear that you have something going on with Decker, Parker insults you and.."
I don't let him finish and push him inside my bedroom. He stumbled against my bed and falls on it. Shutting the door behind me I sit down beside him.
"I kissed Jordan Decker. It wasn't intensional or planned. He wouldn't shut up talking shit about you and we were hiding in Matt's downstairs closet from Tiffany. Somehow she thinks that I am the reason Decker broke off with her. I am not his girlfriend. I have no desire to be one. I liked him but not anymore. When I came to pick you up yesterday, you were already sleeping upstairs. Matt and your friends helped me getting in the car while I went into the kitchen to drink some water. Then Parker tried to have his way with me but Decker came into the room just on the right moment."
I take a breather before continuing.
"He pulled Parker off me and I stumbled. I hit my hand against the counter. That's how I got these bruises. Decker jumped on Parker and held him down while that bastard was saying horrible things about me. Then he knocked him in the face, hard enough to put his lights out."
I rub my hand, trying to ease the pinching pain.
"You are going to report Parker? If you don't then I will."
Jason put his arm around my shoulder and pulled me to his side.
"I will. As soon as I get showered and dressed." I reply, looking up to Jason's red eyes.
"Good!" He replies, the smell of hangover hits my face as he speaks.
"Go. Brush your teeth. Your breath stinks." I wave my hand in front of my face fast.
"Oh yeah. Sorry about yesterday. I know I promised not to drink myself i to a noodle." He says and I point toward the bathroom.
"Bathroom. Now!"
He kissed my forehead and squeezes me tight.
"Fine, I'm going. But I am coming into the police station with you."
"No. You are not. Decker wants to speak with you." I say as Jason stands up.
"About what?"
"I guess about what happened yesterday." I say, grabbing a pair of skinny jeans from my closet.
"Right."
Jason murmurs, leaning against the doorframe, his chest bare.
"Meet me back in the house later. I want you to help me pick out a dress for the dance." I say, shuffling through my drawers in search of a top.
"You are going to the dance? With whom?" His eyes widen and I smile.
"Matt. He asked me and I said yes. We are going as friends, so don't get any ideas in your head."
"Oh, thank God." He exhales,
"I thought I needed to kick someone's ass again tonight."
I roll my eyes, annoyed by my brother's protective behavior.
"Go shower. You stink."
"Yeah, yeah." He walks down the hallway into his bedroom. I gather my clothes, hung them over my forearm and take my phone with me.
My headache was gone but when I started to think about the dance tonight, it came flying back. It was going to be an interesting night.