Chapter 24 - The confession

I melted into that kiss as my body slumped against him. He held my face with both of his hands, sliding his lips over mine. When he pulled away, he had his eyes closed. I tasted the licorice in my mouth.
"I am so sorry." He whispered, and then he pecked my lips again.
"For what?" I said against his lips, hanging on to his arms.
"For everything. I know I should've pulled you in the mess I have with Tiffany. But when I accidentally told her that I had met someone else, all I could think about was you." He opened his eyes.
"I don't love you. I think I never will but I can't stop thinking about you." So this was the truth? He didn't love me. I lowered my head, staring down at our shoes.
"I know. But I had to get it off my chest. I have been carrying that angst with me for years but now I know." I removed his hands from my face and moved past him. I started knocking on the door. I couldn't listen to him anymore.  I was done.
"Ok, you can let us out now." I said and for our surprise Matt unlocked the door. I didn't look back when I stormed out. Tears filled my eyes as I pushed through the crowd and to the front door. I heard Colleen yelling out my name, almost muffled by the music.
I left the door open as I walked down on the driveway and scanned the cars. Maybe someone could drive me home now? Maybe I should call Jason?
But he was out with his friends drinking and in no fit for driving.
I heard footsteps behind me but I didn't turn. I looked up in the sky instead, hoping it was Matt who came running after me.
But it wasn't. It was Jordan. He grabbed me by my hand and turned me to face him.
"You can't storm out on me like this."
He said angrily.
"Why not?" I pulled my hand free from his grasp and looked behind him. Some people started to gather to the door, observing our conversation.
Jordan heard them whisper behind him but didn't take his eyes off me when he barked loudly.
"Get back inside."
They didn't move. If else, they started gossiping even more.
"Get back..." he started to say again but stopped and took my hand and pulled me toward his car.
"Get inside." He pulled open the side door but I refused to move. He was barking orders at me and I wasn't going to apply.
"No!" I took my ground, wrapping my arms over my chest and started moving away from him.
"Don't make me tell you twice." He said and I turned.
"Please don't. Don't make it harder for me than it already is."
"You asked for it." He stormed toward me and grabbed me by my waist, he bent down and tossed me over his shoulder.
"Put me down, you idiot." I slammed my fists against his back and he started walking down the street. When I raised my head, I saw Colleen and Matt standing by the door, their mouths hanging open.
Jordan kept walking, as I grabbed his shirt and punched him against his back.
"Put me down, you Neanderthal."
I said, gritting my teeth.
"You didn't even let me finish when you stormed out from the closet. And you can keep hitting me all you want and your brother won't come to the rescue." He said, still walking.
"Yeah, and how would you know that? He might be here any second now, knocking your lights out." I kicked and screamed.
"Because he is in Fortline, wasted." Jordan stops, puts me down and in an instant I start walking back to Matt's house.
"I said I don't love you but this doesn't mean I don't like you." He said but I kept on walking.
"Juliet, for God's sake, stop." I hear him run after me and then block my path.
"I poured my heart out and I get it. The feeling isn't mutual. But don't do shit like this." I say, my face all pale.
"Don't kiss me and then say that you don't love me. For a girl, for me it is confusing."
"You said you didn't know the reason I sent you those flowers or that card. So, let me explain, ok?"
I watched him scratch the back of his neck.
"I was a jerk. Actually from the beginning," he said and I huffed out a laugh. He gave me the stink eye.
"The only reason I acted like that after that night you kissed me, was because I didn't want Tiffany come for you. Everyone in the school knew that you had the hots for me , and so did Tiffany. I tried to make you ignore me, tried to make you stop liking me. But I started to like you."
I don't want to listen to Jordan telling me this so I move around him and start walking back toward the house.
"I'm not lying, Juliet."
"Sure you aren't." I turn just in time he runs to me.
"Don't you see? I want this. I didn't go to Lyre because of you. I like you." He says and I shake my head.
"I don't see anything anymore. It's all so confusing. If there would be a bystander, he or she wouldn't understand it neither." I reply, my eyes fixated on his.
"Then let me show you how I feel." He came closer to me. "Let me show you that even if this, this is complicated, I let my actions speak for me."
And then he kissed me again.
When his lips leave mine, I am in full crying mode.
"I don't understand what is happening. I didn't know why you were so intriguing for me but now I do. I didn't know what I wanted. I had no courage to take any actions for my life. You didn't pay any attention to me and it made me crazy. You had feelings for me but you never showed them out."
He wipes a tears from my cheek.
"The moment I set foot in Chicago, I knew. I knew then that I don't want to be here. You were so far away from me that I thought I had missed the chance with you. The only reason I dumped Tiffany was because I wanted to go to Lyre and not be attached. Then you kissed me and I felt something. Deep down where I guess it had been boiling from the day I saw you. When I thought my magnet didn't work on you, yours did on me. Somehow you chained me to you. And now I want this, because I know that this chain will never be broken. I will grow to love you, I promise that. But for now, these feeling for you are everything I have. And I promise that if these aren't love related, then I will do what ever it takes to make them."
I listen to him, sobbing.
"I am coming in New York University, you like it or not. You won't have a chance to forget me when you decide to walk away now. I will hunt you down, tease and kick your chair legs like a young boy until you are mine."