Chapter 16 - The night

While the restaurant is filled with customers eager to try out the food, I walk nervously in the busy kitchen. Steam rises from pots as the chefs finish the preparations for the busy night coming.

"Table 1 is full and so are all the other ones." Lory comes into the kitchen holding one of the wine menus. Calvin walks around, tasting everything.

"Juliet, can I borrow a plate and try out this fish roll?" Lory pats me on my shoulder as I try to peek into the large room, just sticking my head through the doorway.

"Yeah, sure," I wave her off and follow my gaze over the crowd. We have been open less than an hour and it's already a full house. Waitresses start to take the orders and come hand chefs the slips.

"Alright now, let's make Lory proud," I say as I turn and smooth down my dress. "Oh, honey. So sweet of you but I am more proud of you." She says sticking her fork into a piece of caramelized carrot and puts it into her mouth. I stick my head through the doorway again and look at the people in the dining room.

I can't reply because I see a familiar face in table number 6. It's Matt with a girl sitting beside her. She has short blond hair that is curled and set back. Matt has his hand around her waist and whispering into her ear. Both of them start to laugh as he pulls back and smooths his thumb over her lower lip.
I wonder why he hasn't told me that he is in a relationship.
"I will be right back!" I say over my shoulder and pull the kitchen door open wide. Two waitresses storm pass me when I enter the dining room.
"Did you see him? And who is that girl?" One of the waitresses tells the other one. I ignore their conversation, trying not to be rude. Matt is placing his order while I push through the herd of people and reach them.
"Juliet." He yells and raises his hand. I can't help but smile when his cheeks flush and he swiftly looks down at his date.
"Who is she?" The blond asks, almost whispering but I still hear her. I come to stand beside Matt when he replies her.
"She is my best friend."
Matt stands up and hugs me. His date though stays seated and her eyes narrow. I can tell that she doesn't like the idea of a best friend who is a girl.
"Amazing. Just incredible. Juliet, you pulled this off better than I expected." Matt says, sitting down on his chair again. My smile grows.
"Well, thank you. I just hope that the first night will not disappoint anyone." I reply.
"What is she talking about?" The blond asks beside Matt. I am about to answer her when Matt put his hand over hers.
"This is Juliet. She is the running manager here."
This deserves an oh from her and nothing else.
"Oh, how impolite of me. Juliet, this is Sara." Matt points to her and then at me. "I don't want to repeat your name for the third time but she is Juliet."
Politely I reach out my hand to shake hers but she doesn't follow my actions. I let my hand drop beside me. "Nice to meet you, Sara."
"Likewise." She mumbles under her breath.
"Ok, you guys enjoy your night," I tell them and put my hand on Matt's shoulder. "I'll call you later." Her eyes snap up at mine and I can tell she already has something against me.
"Sure!" Matt smirks and I'm about to head back into the kitchen when somebody yells my name.
I look around, even standing up on my toes to see where the person is. Then I see the familiar head of hair that is almost not possible notice, she calls my name again. "Colleen," I move toward her and she comes to hug me, catching me off guard. I have only talked to her once on the bus to Fortline and despite not knowing her well, she looks like a nice girl.
"I thought it was you." She says and looks around in the restaurant.
"Hey, I don't blend in the crowd then?" I ask and she laughs.
"Nah, with this dress on, you pop just out." She says and I almost laugh too but before I can I notice something about her that is so familiar my brain has a hard time processing it.
"I want you to meet my brother," she says to me and takes my hand to drag me with her.
"Have you met my brother?" She asks when I see Jordan typing away on his phone. A lump forms in my trout and he looks up. "Hey." I manage to get the one word out, not choking on the lump and he lifts his eyes.
"Juliet."

Decker's POV

"Juliet," I say, watching Colleen stand behind her and pushing her forward. I tuck my phone in my pocket and my mouth opens.
"What are you doing here?" I ask, not registering the words that leave my mouth.
"This is mine." She points at the restaurant. "I am the manager."
"What?"
"I work in Lory's Diner in Fortline. She asked me to help her open a restaurant here in King Valley and... I did." She says with a shy voice.
I know that I am busy but this girl has driven the 'being busy level' to a whole another level.
"Oh my god. You serious?" Colleen asks her, jumping up and down from excitement.
"Yeah." She replies to her, her smile shy.
"This is just perfect. You are definitely going to be my next best friend." Colleen almost yells and I huff out a laugh.
"Yeah. She owns a restaurant and the only thing you care about is food."
"Not true. I also like wine spritzers."
Juliet starts to laugh and I find myself looking her from top to bottom. Her dress clings to her body, her hair is loose and curled. I haven't looked at her this way before. With hunger.
"Anyways, I have to get going. Call me when you are done." I shake my head and free myself from the thoughts about Juliet.
"Sure. Do what ever you have planned," she says zipping down her jacket," I will have a great night to consume."
"You mean food, to consume food?" Juliet asks her and my sister shakes her head no.
"I intend to enjoy the night, not just food and now when there is someone who I know here, I will be fine." She says. I move my weight from one leg to another. Juliet is avoiding looking at me and I can't help but sigh.
"Now, go. Go!" Colleen pushes me toward the door. "Keep your phone in handy." She tells me and I shake her hands off me. "Fine. Stop shoving me like I am a small child. Jeez, I'm going." I look up to see Juliet for one more time but she has her back toward me and talking to a young man.
Three more weeks and I will be on the plane, heading to Chicago. I only need to get my team to win the Championship games and then I am out from King Valley and Fortline forever.

Juliet's POV

I watch Colleen push Jordan out the door and then walk back to me. "He can be so annoying sometimes it makes me hate his guts."
She whips her hair over her shoulder.
Now I know why Colleen reminded me of someone. I had no idea they were siblings. Matt hasn't told me they had a sister.
"It was kind of a redundant question to ask you if you had met my brother." She says and I smile, nodding.
"I think there isn't a girl in this town who hasn't met my cocky brother."
"I guess," I say.
"So have you got?" She asks.
"I've got what?"
"The hots for him?" She asks and I think if I had a glass of water I would spit out a mouthful of it from the surprise.
"No, why do you ask that?" I ask her.
"Sorry, but it seemed that he has for you. I haven't seen him out of words before."
Was he out of words?