Chapter IX ♥ Worth

"I think she's crying,"

"Why would she be crying?"

"I don't know? Did something happening with the Majesties?"

"Could be,"

Two Royal guards were subtly gossiping as they patrolled the palace halls, hearing the crying from within Princess Melanie's room as they passed it.

"Should we tell someone about it?" the one hissed to the other in a whisper.

"Maybe not. She's a teenager, let her cry it out. It makes them feel better,"

"How would you know?"

"My daughter's sixteen. Trust me, I know these things," they left the hallway, turning down another corridor as they continued with their patrol.

I was upset. Utterly and disgustingly upset. I wanted to roll up in a ball and die. The ball part I've got down, my body cocooned under all my blankets. My handmaiden came by earlier and figured I was sick, especially because I was complaining of a headache the last few days. She brought me medicine and extra blankets before leaving me to my own devices, informing my doorway guard of my condition. Did the Royal Guards have medical training?

I sat up from my bed and spotted my reflection in my body mirror. I looked hideous. I had gone to bed with all my ballet clothes still on, including my bun which had fallen out during the night and now there were bobby pins everywhere in my tangled hair. Somewhere during the night I had gotten warm and ripped off my leotard and stockings and threw them across the floor. My handmaiden had taken them to the wash, but it meant that I had no clothes on my body. Fantastic.

I got out from under the blankets, not bothering to cover myself up. My blinds were pulled close and I knew my door guard. He wouldn't dare.

I was nowhere in the mood for dressing, but I preferred it over roaming the halls butt naked. I pulled on undergarments and a plain dress. I did not want to struggle with trousers today. I exited my room with a blanket over my shoulders, the guard passing me a glance before going back to his original position. I had done nothing to fix my hair either nor put on shoes to cover up my blistered feet.

Pointes are a nightmare.

The blanket dragged behind as I walked, curious glances throwing my way as I passed them. I was nowhere in the mood for their opinions or judging. I was a woman on a mission, and I was not going to let my trumpeting head stop me from completing my journey.

Luckily their room was near mine as the night rooms were all grouped together. Once I reached it, I didn't even bother knowing and barged straight in. Just my luck, I had walked in on Bartholomew getting dressed. I had never heard him scream as loudly as he ducked behind a curtain. He was truly a damsel in distress.

"Bloody hell Melanie! I. Am. Naked!" he screeched like a princess, causing my reaction to roll my eyes and close their bedroom door while still inside. Cornelius was already dressed, seated peacefully on his bed as he gently stringed at his violin.

"Listen, I want you to do something for me," I spoke lowly, not wanting the guards outside to catch whiff of my scheme. Curious, Cornelius put down the violin.

"Go on," he urged with narrowed eyes.

"Wait! Can I not get dressed first?!" Bartholomew groaned, still behind the curtain.

"It cannot wait. It is too important," I shook my head.

"Clearly, you look like you were the cat's finding of the day," Bartholomew used his witty conversation to insult me but I had other plans than growing angry. I had received my fair share of being angry the night before, and now I was all about revenge and honour.