Starting Off [Pt.3]

"So... early," you groaned at the dream shattering beep of your alarm clock. Today was your first training day. You were expected to turn up at 5:00am, be completely awake and ready and get to know most of your colleagues. A sudden knocking interrupted your inner complaining and your mind was instantly drawn to the noise. "Are you decent?" chimed a familiar, robotic voice.
"Genji! Uh- hold on a sec," you replied, starting to pull on your 'specialised' training suit. You quickly slipped your keycard into your pocket and opened your door to be greeted by the figure of Genji.
"Good morning Y/N," he said, bowing his head with respect.
"Mornin' Genji! Are you training today?" You asked as you walked down the hall with him.
"Not this morning actually, I'm not sure who you'll be assigned a training session with today," he said with a sigh, knowing you'd be nervous with anyone you didn't know.
You rubbed the back of your neck lightly, "So, uh- where is the training hall?" You asked cheerily, trying to stay positive during this moment of stress.
Genji shook his head, "Ah, my bad. Just down there and to the left. I hope everything does well, Y/N."
You waved to the man and quickly darted in the direction you were told to.
You sprinted down the hallway and slid to you left. A well-lit room with props for fighting was blatantly obvious as you turned the corner.
"Miss L/N, nice for you to finally show," sighed a hoarse voice from within the room, "I'm Jack Morrison or Soldier 76 but please, call me Morrison. Today you'll be training with me."
"Uh- Yes, sorry I was late, sir. I wasn't sure where to go and I had to get Genj-"
"I understand, it's a big building. Let's just get into the training to see where you'll be placed in general class," he quickly interrupted you, throwing you a helmet for protection.
"Ready?" He asked, positioning himself to attack.
"Yes si-" suddenly you were pinned to the ground by your neck.
"I thought you were ready, hey rookie?" Morrison chuckled as he stood up and released you from his grip, he continued to speak as he paced around the training room, "I, personally, don't think you're ready for general classes yet, your reaction time is slow but if you wish to go straight to general, go for it."
"What other choices do I have, sir?" You asked, as you desperately wanted to improve. He stopped in the middle of the room and thought for a moment before looking back up at you, "Well, I could organise one on one training sessions with quite a few different Overwatch members with unique fight styles so you can develop your own style and get used to fighting."
You stayed silent for a second. You didn't know anyone besides Genji, Mercy and now, Soldier 76. You inhaled sharply and looked at the soldier for a moment. "I'd like that, thank you."
He motioned for you to leave the room quickly, "That's enough for today, rookie."
You nodded as you exited the room and started to head to the common room where you assumed you'd meet some new faces. Laughter and the clattering of cups and plates made you curious as you approached the common room. Suddenly, a small woman poked her head out around the corner. "Hello love!" She chirped as she speedily grabbed your hand and held it tight as she shook it. "My name's Tracer! What's yours, love?" She smiled. Shocked by the sudden introduction, you held back a bit.
"Oh.. I'm Y/N, nice to meet you.. Tracer?" You stammered, still quite taken aback. She giggled as she pulled you into the common room by the hand she still had hold of.
"Hey everyone! Look who I found, the new recruit, Y/N!" She shouted to the crowd standing in room. Everyone shared questioning glances at each other as if to say 'Seriously? They chose that?'
Suddenly an outbreak of greetings and cheers erupted as one by one they came to introduce themselves. Several of them handed you trinkets, others handed you something to eat or drink. "O-Oh! Thank you everyone, you're all too kind," you smiled as you were ushered into the crowded room.
Things settled down as time went on and some people left the room. As the number of people began to lessen, you noticed a familiar figure leaning against the back wall. You broke away from the small group you stood with to go investigate the menacing presence. The masked man stood with good posture, arms crossed and back against the wall, part of you didn't want to disturb him, but the rest of you was curious as all hell.
"Hello?" You whispered. He lifted his head to stare down as you. Something about the white mask felt psychopathic yet sad.
He sighed and began to speak, "Don't bother, I know exactly who you are. You nearly passed out on Dr. Ziegler's watch and, you bitched about what room you were placed in. Yup, you're Y/N alright."
"O-Oh.. So... who are you?" You stuttered, taken aback by his blunt rudeness.
"Huh? The name's Reaper. Everyone around here goes for the 'but you can call me-' bullshit but I'd prefer you just don't even speak to me so you don't need to say my name," the grunted before he pulled away from the wall and begun to walk out the door.
"Wait! I'm sorry did I do something to annoy yo-" You were quickly interrupted by a heavy shove to the side, sending you onto the floor, accompanied by an angry grumble.
"Watch it, kid," he mumbled as he trudged off.
A soft hand touched yours and pulled you to your feet again. You looked up to see Mercy, her eyes switching between you and the disappearing body of Reaper.
"I told you to avoid him..." she sighed.
___
AN:
Hey hey!! Sorry if the start of this chapter was hella shit?? I had no idea what to write about lmao. I need some suggestions for next chapter's plot so hmu with those.
I have an overall idea of what I want from this story but I'm just not sure what to write in chapter's leading up to that point. Anyway, thanks for reading and I love you all!
- Ally