Punishment [Pt. 5]

A few days after the not-so successful training battle, gossip and rumours started to flow throughout your fellow Overwatch colleagues. Eventually, those whispers found their way to you. Some of the rumours you knew were ridiculous like the one where people thought Reaper was acting out only for the attention. Although, a single rumour hit your ear that stung like a wasp. It wasn't that it was hurtful or a sensitivie topic, you just weren't sure who'd come up with something like that.

You replayed the words in your mind and scoffed. "No way," you huffed. "I was focusing during the match, wasn't I? Even if I was completely off game, it wasn't because of him!" You added as you violently flopped onto your single bed with a sigh. The more you tried to analys it, the angrier you got. You let out a shrill scream out of pure frustration. You cupped your face in your hot hands and let out a sob. "Y/N! Are you alright?" Shouted a voice that was drawing nearer.

You looked up to see Genji appear in your doorway, looking stern and ready to fight. As his eyes focused you, he became more relaxed and gentle. "Y/N?" He repeated as he knelt down beside your bed and placed a cold hand over your shoulder. You lifted your head from the support of your hands and glanced to him. Part of you wanted to tell him to leave but you couldn't stomach turning the only person who cared for you away. "Have you heard the rumours?" You inquired. You knew asking was redundant. Who hadn't heard them? Genji gave a small, almost unnoticeable nod in reply to your question. "What's so bad about them?" He asked almost immediately after he'd finished the gesture of nodding.

"People saying there's something going on between Reaper and I? People saying I was unfocused because Reaper was on the team? People saying we're a thing!" You snapped at him against your will. He shifted back a bit, seemingly scared of the rage you had displayed. Silence fell over the room, the tension felt like it could be cut with a knife. "Y/N... I understand this is not what you want to hear but.. They're right. You were out of element and seemed to be more focused on your 'teammates' than the entire match..." He said with a soft tone, giving a sympathetic sigh to round off his sentence. You shook your head. It was't true. You didn't like him. Genji edged closer you, resuming his original position and with this he spoke again, "Y/N, you can tell me how you really feel. You can trust me, understood?" Your expression softened at Genji's kind gesture yet, you didn't know what to tell him. Something deep down in you knew there was some feeling for Reaper, whether it was fear or something more, you weren't sure but everytime you saw him, an anxious bubbling would begin inside you.

You felt the cold grasp of Genji once again upon you. "Y/N? Do you have feelings for Reaper or not?" He asked again. You sighed and gave shook you head, "No, not in the way you all think I do. He is skilled and I look up to him, that's all." Genji nodded, looking unenthused and frankly offended. He knew you weren't being completely honest. He cleared his throat and stood up, giving you a respectful nod before exiting the room silently. Your eyes began to well up with tears, you'd hurt his feelings by lying to him. You laid back down on your bed, tucking your knees into your chest and tightly wrapping your arms around them. You began to sob quietly so not another soul could hear. Your tears fell gently and soothed your hot cheeks, sending your emotionally exhausted body into a deep sleep.
A loud knock on your door woke you. "Y-Yes... come in," You answered, pulling yourself out of your bed and wiped your puffy, bloodshot eyes.
As the door opened, it felt like a nightmare. In walked Reaper. You sat bolt upright and looked at him. "Reaper- Hello- What would you like?" You asked, trying to sound prim and proper. He stayed silent as he approached you. "Lunch is being served. You didn't come out and I thought I'd just let you know so I didn't have to hear your whiny ass complaining about being hungry," he stated firmly before turning to leave.
You jolted forward and grabbed his arm, pulling him to face you. "What's your real name?" You asked softly as you stared into the black void of where his eyes should be behind the mask.
"Reaper. I've told you," he replied as he easily yanked himself out of your grip.
"Please... Stop being fucking asshole to me! Why do you treat people like this?" You hissed at him.
He stopped and stood still with his back turned to you. "My name is Gabriel Reyes. Is that all?" He asked, turning his head to face you.
A tear fell from your eyes and a smile graced your lips. "Thank you," you whispered as he left your room silently.
The door closed behind him as he exited, leaving you to your lonesome again. You stood up and wandered to the cafeteria, hoping to see Genji and Reaper. As you entered, you saw the man you had just spoken to walking off to his room carrying this meal tray. You assumed that Soldier had 'punished' Reaper by not allowing him to eat or take part in any activities. You found this funny. Punishing the most antisocial man by not allowing him to partake in social activities wasn't very affect. Although, it did make you upset that he wouldn't be around for a few days. Something about the man made you feel absolutely terrified yet somewhat... comforted.
He was always nearby, watching. Whether that was creepy or protective was debatable but you found yourself feeling better when he was around.
Sometimes he scared you, almost like a rush of adrenaline at first glance..
He meant something to you, more than you could explain but not enough to call it a crush... yet..

___
AN:
Howdy all! Thank you sooo much for 220+ reads :o I hope you are liking it so far! Sorry if this chapter wasn't the best. I plan to update maybe everyone 1-2 days since it's the holidays for me right now. Ps: Feel free to suggest something for a plot or just an idea within a chapter to help the story progress! I would really appreciate it if you left some suggestions.
Hopefully Y/N will be able to win over Genji's friendship again :((