Celebratory [Pt. 9]

Tonight was the night.
It had been 2 months since you were recruited into Overwatch. All your training was complete.
Tonight was finally the night you were to become an official Overwatch agent.
Mercy and Soldier 76 went to the effort of planning a 'graduation' party for you so, you were expected to attend even though social situations weren't your strong point.
You peered at the alarm clock on your nightstand, making sure you weren't going to be too fashionably late. The long, black sequinned dress you wore resembled that if a water fall that shone in the moonlight. You glanced at a photo frame atop of your nightstand. It was a picture of you and your bestfriend from the beach. A frown grazed your lips as you stared at the photo.
"If only you were here, BF/N..." You sighed as you gently traced your thumb
over the frame of the photograph. You lingered on the thought of them before hastily reverting your mind to the task at hand. You headed to the door of your small room and exited then starting on your way to the function hall. Who knew there were so many different rooms?
With each step you took closer to your destination, your confidence began to build. You looked stunning.
The dress complimented your figure and made your eyes shine and burst with colour. Your hair was styled so perfectly, framing your face in just a way that made you glow. You hesitated at the door, suddenly swamped by nerves.
"Knock 'em dead, tiger," you mumbled quietly to yourself with a little smile.
You took a deep breath and hesitantly pushed open the doors to the function room. All the noise and fuss seemed to pour into your ears at once, rendering you momentarily confused.
A few faces turned to you and suddenly rushed toward you.
"Y\N!" They chanted as the swarmed you with affection and congratulations.
You blushed ever so slightly as all the hullabaloo over you got bigger. It seemed as if you were celebrity surrounded by the paparazzi as you were ushered the middle of the room.
"Clear some space, please," ordered Soldier 76 as he pushed through the crowd, on route to you.
"Good evening, madam," he said, sounding slightly taken aback by you gobsmacking beauty. He gently took your hand in his and brought it up to his lips, giving you a soft peck upon the back of your hand in a most gentlemanly fashion. You blushed softly at his gesture. "Good evening to you too, sir!" You mused with a massive smile.
"Glad to finally be an official Overwatch agent, eh?" He chuckled.
"Absolutely! I must thank you for giving me the opportunity to even join into the organisation in the first place," you replied quickly. He returned a smile, "You have potential, a lot of it. We're glad to have you." You threw your arms around Soldier and gave him tight hug as thanks.
"Thank you, sir," you whispered as you ended the embrace. He dipped his head before turning and wandering back off into the crowd again.
The flocking to see you had died down after about half an hour. You sat at a small, two-seater table in the back of the room alone for a while, trying to just take on everything that was happening. It was all so exciting.
The empty chair across the table squealed as it was drawn across the floor to make room for Mercy.
"Hello, Y/N. Congratulations on the promotion," She chirped.
"Oh! Thank you Mercy! Are you here with anyone?" You asked, a little curios if anyone had brought a 'date' to the occasion.
"Ah, yes. Genji asked me last night if we could attend together. I'm not quite sure what he's getting at though," she said, sounding a little confused. Your face lit up with a smile.
"I do," you giggled as you glanced around, searching for the man himself.
"How about you? Did you attend with Gabriel?" She asked. You froze up for a moment.
Something inside of wished she hadn't of even mentioned him. You had been attempting to avoid him over the last few days since that 'nightmare' you had.
You couldn't bring yourself to see him again.
"Oh, uh- No. I haven't even seen him lately," you choked, looking down at your lap awkwardly. Mercy shuffled her seat forward and leant in closer to you.
"He came to this party just for you Y/N. I know it. He never bothered to go to a single one of these events before," She whispered. She looked up for a moment and pointed over to the bar.
There sat Gabriel all on his lonesome.
He didn't dress up, he didn't groom himself.
All that mattered was that he was there for you, whether he wanted to admit it or not.
"You should speak to him, Y/N," Mercy encouraged as she nudged your shoulder. Fear seemed to linger in the back of your mind as you hesitantly rose from your seat and progressed toward the bar in which he sat.
You pulled up a stool next to him as quietly as you could, yet, to no avail. It still caught his attention.
"O-Oh, hey Gabriel- What are you doing here?" You asked awkwardly.
He seemed to tilt his head in a little confusion as he spoke, "It's a party. Thought I might as well take advantage of the free alcohol." He gave a gently shrug as he pushed the mask off his face hesitantly to take a mouthful of beer.
"You drinkin' or what, love?" Asked the bartender hastily.
"Sure, why the hell not. Gimme the best you've got!" You laughed. The bartender looked slightly shocked as he turns to fetch you whatever he had.
[Time Skip]
The night was nearing as close. People farewelled you at the bar as they left. Your vision was a little askew from all the alcohol but, you kept waving off whoever said their farewells to you, despite not being able to tell the faces apart. The bartender quickly slide away the bottles of beer you and Gabriel had before speaking. "I think that's all for you two tonight, otherwise, you'll end up with alcohol poisoning," He said sternly before motioning for you two the lean the bar. Gabriel huffed before picking up his mask and trudging toward the exit of the function room.
"C-Coming?" He asked in a slurred voice. You glanced back around the room. Nobody who interested you was there anymore or atleast free.
The commander had left, Genji was too busy flirting with Mercy and the older agents just talked in a large group.
Following Gabriel was by far the most interesting option.
He partially stumbled down the halls and out the dimly like park-like area. Soft light glowed from fairly lights lining the trees and small fireflies buzzing around. Gabriel plonked himself down upon a small wooden bench in the middle of the grass and stared up at the moon.
"Why are we out here?" You asked. He just laughed softly as he patted the seat beside him. You shrugged and took the offer. If he had come out here to see the beauty, he sure had come to the right place. The moon glistened and made everything seem insignificant in comparison to it. You mindlessly dropped your head onto his shoulder as continued to stare at the moon. You glanced up at his face to see a soft blush on his tan skin that was illuminated by the moonlight. Softly giggling, you poked his cheek. He turned his head to yours and looked you deep in the eyes. You slowly sat up straight as your lips seemed to be being magnetised closer. Gently, you pressed your lips against his in a brief, almost unnoticeable peck.
"That was the beer talking..." you choked as you leant on his shoulder again.
"Mhm," he chuckled quietly.
____
AN:
Howdy! So,,,,, thank you so much for 900+ reads <333
I hope this chapter wasn't too odd or messy.
Sorry it didn't have much Reaper accept for around the end.
(Ps: I'm gonna start referring to him as Gabe or Gabriel. Y/N and him are starting to get closer so, it just seems fitting if he was called by a more personal or genuine name.
Also, sorry for the abrupt ending. I wanted to keep it sort but sweet.
Anyway, thanks for reading!
1426 words! Wow!
- Ally