Abandonment [Pt. 14]

Stay quiet, there was nothing to say to him. After all, you were the one who said not to dwell and look back on that.
"Let me in," he sighed, placing another loud knock on the door.
Hesitantly, you trudged over to the frame silently.
Maybe if you ignored him for long enough he'd leave or maybe he'd just persist in his efforts.
"Why should I, especially for you?" You hissed, pressing your hand gently against the lock.
"You don't have to let me in yet, it would be wise if you want some clarification," he stated.
Silence came over you. How could you argue with that when that's all you wanted from him.
You fumbled on the door handle and slowly pulled it ajar. Your eyes locked onto his citrine yellow ones as he peered inside the room. It was odd for him to show his face without the mask, more so to you after the recent goings on.
"May I?" He asked as he slightly leaned in. With a small, lazily flick of the hand you granted him access. His attitude was different, less confident and cocky than usual.
"So what? You've come crawling back to me after you realised there's literally nobody who cares about you like I do?" You blurted.
That was unexpected, and even he thought so. A small stutter made its was from his throat, stunned and probably embarrassed he glanced away.
His face tilted a little, making his normally well defined features look askew without the mask on.
"So?" You dragged, almost teasing for him apology.
He remained silent, staring you down whilst occasionally basking in his own thoughts. Maybe he was conjuring the most romantic apology anyone could dream of. He quickly readjusted, looking you square in the face and sighed softly, "Yes, okay. I'm sorry for what I said but..."
You quickly interrupted him with a tight, breathtaking hug.
"I love you Gabriel.." you whispered. His strong arms pulled you off of him, setting you back only to see his still displeased expression. "Let me finish; I'm sorry for what I said but it doesn't mean I want you to love me again, you can't," he muttered in a low tone, "I-It's not that I don't love you it's just.. If you love me, let me go Y/N.."
You grimaced, letting your wide smile fall to that of a enraged frown.
Something inside you shifted as if it had had enough of this man's bullshit. With a deep, aggressive inhale your eyes steadied on his. In a gruff tone you started to speak, "Jesus Gabriel, cut the crap. Why can't I love you? Just tell me."
He sighed, looking down at the floor as if ashamed to say these things. "Y/N.. do you even know who I am? What I am?" He murmured.
"Well, yes, you told me. Undead, ruthless ex-Talon commander, right?" You said.
"Exactly.. I can't let you love me because seeing you get hurt before made me feel like the shittiest person on earth, like I couldn't protect you. And well, I can't," he rambled.
"W-what do you mean..?" You stuttered quietly.
"Things are changing, haven't Morrison told you?," he sighed, "Great, just fucking great.."
His words reassured you in no way, what did he mean 'change?'
"Gabriel... What are you talking about?" you muttered.
His eyes seemed to cloud as if he were about to cry but you knew Gabriel wouldn't let you see that side of him, not now anyway.
"Omnics, they're attacking again. He's sending out soldiers," he sighed.
Soldiers? Omnics? Why hadn't Morrison told you about that, if anything, it brought a little excitement to you know that you may be selected to fight.
Gabriel spoke again with a dim tone,
"I've been enrolled, I have to go fight."

"And you can't come."

"I won't let you..."

___________________________
Author's Note ;
___________________________
Hey all! Apologises for the recent lack of updates. Hopefully this can satisfy until I get some more plot progress in mind! <3 thanks for your patiences !! Also, thank you so much for 8.98k reads? I never thought me shitty stories would gain so much traction.

Anyway, I hope this is alright. It was pretty rushed. Cya next update !!